Meesham (Measham) Primitive Methodist chapel
Leicester Road Measham DE12 7JG
In the Primitive Methodist magazine of January 1860 there is an account by John Brining of the laying of the foundation stone of Meesham (Measham) Primitive Methodist chapel in the Ashby de la Zouch circuit. The stone was laid by George Hunt and the preacher was Rev J Dowty (Wesleyan).
After the ceremony, there was tea in the Temperance Hall followed by Rev King preaching in the Wesleyan chapel. It rained.
Earlier Ordnance Survey maps of Measham do not identify the different brands of non-conformist chapel, but the 1923 map shows the Primitive Methodist chapel on Leicester Road, broadly opposite Iveagh Close. On the 1885 map it is simply marked as ‘chapel’, although it has pretty much the same footprint.
On the 1961 map it is labelled Leicester Road Methodist church. The site is currently used for housing.
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1860 page 50