Kendall states that Primitive Methodism entered Quorndon (the name was changed to Quorn for postal purposes) with John Heath in 1817. Hugh Bourne visited in 1818, and prominent members in the early days were Prior Richardson and Phoebe Smith.
The chapel was opened in 1826. On 31 March 1851 the following information was given to the Census enumerator
Space: free 198, other 52, total 250
Free standing space 20
Present: Morn Aft Eve
General Congregation – 90 246
Sunday Scholars – 16 4
Total – 106 250
General Congregation – 40 60
A note explained that the evening service that day was a special Circuit Service bringing together Methodists from the surrounding area
The chapel continued in existence until Methodist Union, but an article about the Circuit, written in 1911, stated that
“The chapel was built in 1826, and has not been modernized at all in the long interval of years. The church is not a strong one in numbers, but the few members we have are loyal and hopeful. A most eligible site of land has been secured for new premises, but our financial resources are not such as to warrant a forward movement at the present time. Yet no great progress is possible until a more comfortable and central chapel is erected. The traditions of this old Society are rich and inspiring. The work of Prior Richardson and his amazing power in prayer are among the cherished memories of those who knew Quorn in the middle of the last century.”
This article is reproduced elsewhere on this site and includes a photograph of the chapel as it was. At the time of the centenary of the Circuit Quorndon was the only chapel in the Circuit with only one Sunday service, in the evening. The 1918 plan can also be viewed elsewhere on this site.
The photograph show the building as it is now, painted a bright blue.
Kendall, H.B. The Origin and History of the Primitive Methodist Church. London: Edwin Dalton, , Vol. 1, pp293-295
TNA H.O. 129 416/2/29
Christian Messenger 1911, p 92