Leicester Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel

170 Belgrave Gate, Leicester LE1 3XL

Leicester Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel | Primitive Methodist Conference Handbook 1907
Leicester Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel
Primitive Methodist Conference Handbook 1907
former Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel Leicester | Christopher Hill February 2016
former Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel Leicester
Christopher Hill February 2016
side view of former Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel Leicester | Christopher Hill February 2016
side view of former Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel Leicester
Christopher Hill February 2016
Leicester Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel | Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1927; Englesea Brook Museum
Leicester Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel
Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1927; Englesea Brook Museum

Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel in Leicester was very close to where the first Primitive Methodist sermon in Leicester was preached by John Benton in 1818, and a chapel was built in 1819 at the corner of George Street and Bedford Street.  

Belgrave Gate chapel was opened in 1882, built to replace George Street and was one of the venues used for the 1907 Primitive Methodist Conference in Leicester.  It was sold to Leicester Co-operative Society in 1937.

In 2016 it still exists, but is hard to recognise.  Its last use was for Leicester Square Rack and Roll Pool Hall and Sports bar. 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone