Newbold Verdon Primitive Methodist chapel
Main Street Newbold Verdon LE9 9NN
J Shaw describes in the 1860 Primitive Methodist magazine how the growth of a Sunday school led the society to pull down their previous chapel and rebuild it larger.
“Newbold Verdon, Hinckley Circuit, is a pleasant little village, about ten miles from Leicester. It contains a population of about 800 souls. Many years have passed since our people first missioned this village, but the fruit of their labour remains. Our preaching services were held in dwelling houses until 1860, when a small chapel was built which afforded but little accommodation for the congregations that assembled. However, they put up with the inconvenience until about twelve months since, when a Sabbath-school was formed which increased so rapidly that a cry came from every side, “give us room that we may dwell.” It was therefore determined to pull down our walls and enlarge our sanctuary ; plans and specifications were drawn out, estimates sent in, contracts made, and all preliminary matters settled.
The work is now completed, with the exception of painting. The chapel is a neat, substantial brick building, 28 feat by 21 feet outside : it is lighted by six windows, four in the front and two in the back gable ; it has a comfortable little gallery at one end ; it will accommodate 190 per sons with seats, 80 of which are in, pews, and 110 free. The roof is well covered with lady slates, the front gable is raised a little above the roof, and has good stone coping with a ball at the top. The cost of the rebuilding (including the materials of the old chapel) is £80, towards which we have obtained nearly £30, and we hope to raise £10 more during the present year, so that the debt on the premises will be increased £40.
The opening sermons were preached by Messrs. J. Brownson, of Leicester, J. Shaw, of Hinckley, and Sergeant Coulter, who preached the concluding sermons, connected with the opening, February 29th, 1860. We intend to thoroughly paint the chapel, and also to put up wrought iron palisading.”
The current (2018) Methodist church in Newbold Verdon carries the label “Primitive Methodist Church 189?” although the actual year has been eroded. Ordnance survey maps show that a chapel – presumably the Primitive Methodist one – was on this s site previously.
Foundation stones on the current chapel are becoming eroded, but the following names are legible – Mrs J Hill (Bagworth – two stones?), Mr E Stevens and Mr Statham (on behalf of the Sunday school).
Primitive Methodist magazine June 1860