Thanks to Philip Thornborow for spotting the former Primitive Methodist chapel in Thorpe Satchville, near Melton Mowbray in April 2023. At this time the former chapel was cunningly hidden as a garage. It retained the outline of a datestone under the apex, but no writing was legible.
Leicestershire history website tells us that the Primitive Methodist congregation dates from the mid 1840s, and by the early 1880s were using an ‘old preaching room’. In August 1885 the foundation and memorial stones for a chapel were laid and it opened on 25 October 1885. It cost £200 and at its opening only a debt of £75 remained, which was well within the Primitive Methodist connexional requirement that at least a third of the cost of a chapel had been raised by its opening.
It is not included in the 1940 list of Methodist buildings.
Leicestershire history website accessed 19th April 2023 at: https://leicestershirehistory.co.uk/?page_id=2605