Austerfield Primitive Methodist chapel
High St, Austerfield, DN10 6QT
The first Austerfield Primitive Methodist chapel in the Retford circuit was opened in 1837 but as the society and Sunday school grew, it became too small, so they built a bigger one, designed by Joseph Wright of Hull.
The new chapel fronted the main street in the village, measured 37′ x 28’8″ and was positioned in front of the old chapel which became the Sunday school. The cost was around £370 of which they had raised £170
It opened on September 26th 1866 and celebrations included tea for 400. Speakers included Revs W Harland, E Sizon, S Birch and A Kitson and Messrs GN Naylor, J Maw (Wroot), and EB Jenkinson.
A Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on the 1893 Ordnance Map on the western side of the A614 approximately at the southern entrance to Bawtry Carbon’s site. It disappears from maps between 1956 and 1962.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1866 pages 34-35