Cleethorpes Primitive Methodist chapel
St Peter's Avenue Cleethorpes DN35 8QB
The current St Andrews Methodist church in Cleethorpes occupies the same site as the previous Primitive Methodist chapels.
The first chapel was built in 1857; it was replaced by a new chapel in 1877. This chapel was replaced by St Andrews in 1979.
Hugh Campbell writes in the 1858 Primitive Methodist magazine that Cleethorpes was first missioned in 1845 or 46 and a small house built for worship in 1849. In 1857 it was replaced by a chapel measuring 45′ x 34′, with a large schoolroom and two vestries. It cost £600 towards which JO Chapman of Cleethorpes gave an outstanding £50.
It was opened on December 20th 1857. Opening preachers included Rev G Lamb of London, Rev W Clarkson (Wesleyan), Rev J Dawson, Rev G Austin and Rev R Smart (Baptist).
The 1877 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note of the opening of the second Primitive Methodist chapel. It tells us nothing more.
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1858 pp.181-182
Primitive Methodist magazine 1877 page 569