Corringham Primitive Methodist chapel
25 Middle Lane Corringham DN21 5QT
Corringham Primitive Methodist chapel shown in the photograph taken by Keith Guyler is actually the third chapel building in the village. It dates from 1909 or 1910: on the front of the building it now has 1908 painted. It was sold in 1973 and was converted into a house – the old Chapel.
The first chapel dates from 1823 and was followed by a second in 1858.
There is an account by W Lonsdale of the opening of the 1858 chapel in the Primitive Methodist magazine. Speakers at the opening services from October 17th 1858 included James Dawson of Retford and E Tyas of Brigg.
The chapel measured 31′ x 22′, seated 95, had a slate roof and boarded floor, and was well ventilated. The chapel was valued at £150 and they had raised £44 towards it. The land was given by John Smithson, an “old Primitive”. Mr Tasker provided much of the energy; Thomas Driver oversaw the work; Mr Hiles fixed the iron palisading for free; Henry Hirst gave the sand; Mr Fisher did the brickwork well and Edward Pinder did the joinery work “in a masterly manner”.
Principal donors and collectors included M Keyworth, D Lilly, James Smithson, S Hill, and T Spittlehouse. Trays at the opening tea were given by Miss Fanny Tasker, Mrs John Smithson, Mrs Tasker, Mrs Driver, Mrs Lilly, Mrs Spittlehouse, Mrs George Smith, Mrs Stephenson, Mrs Hooton and Mrs Williamson.
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1859 p.111