Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel

Willoughby Road Cumberworth LN13 9LF

1839 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel | Keith Guyler 1995
1839 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1995
1853 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel | Keith Guyler 1994
1853 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1994
Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel
1859 Primitive Methodist Chapel plaque over door, see comments below | photo taken by Ray 3/10/2015
1859 Primitive Methodist Chapel plaque over door, see comments below
photo taken by Ray 3/10/2015
The vaulted ceiling is not shown in this picture of our now lounge pre-December 2015. The front former chapel door is on the left and near the red cupboard housing the electric meter. The door on the right is entered via our linked cottage through a small conservatory type porch, part of the year 2000 planning granted. | Ray & Marie
The vaulted ceiling is not shown in this picture of our now lounge pre-December 2015. The front former chapel door is on the left and near the red cupboard housing the electric meter. The door on the right is entered via our linked cottage through a small conservatory type porch, part of the year 2000 planning granted.
Ray & Marie
The interior is as it was from year 2000 when planning permission was granted to modernise inside and link it to Christmas Cottage. The former chapel was electrically re-wired, electric stove effect fire fitted, 2 electric radiators, new floor, new lighting, the decaying windows replaced with wooden double glazed ones, a damp proof course injected, insulation behind new panelling then painted.  There is only electricity, no water, but via the linkage beverages and food can be taken into our former chapel. | Ray & Marie
The interior is as it was from year 2000 when planning permission was granted to modernise inside and link it to Christmas Cottage. The former chapel was electrically re-wired, electric stove effect fire fitted, 2 electric radiators, new floor, new lighting, the decaying windows replaced with wooden double glazed ones, a damp proof course injected, insulation behind new panelling then painted. There is only electricity, no water, but via the linkage beverages and food can be taken into our former chapel.
Ray & Marie
After the Unification of Methodists in 1932, sometime after the word United was not used. | Ray & Marie (see comment below)
After the Unification of Methodists in 1932, sometime after the word United was not used.
Ray & Marie (see comment below)
Insurance Certificate | Ray & Marie - see comment below
Insurance Certificate
Ray & Marie - see comment below
'Chapel of the Month June 2016 by The Chapels Society'. | Ray & Marie (see comment below)
'Chapel of the Month June 2016 by The Chapels Society'.
Ray & Marie (see comment below)
Repaired plaque, Oct 2016 | Ray & Marie
Repaired plaque, Oct 2016
Ray & Marie
Repaired plaque, Oct 2016 | Ray & Marie
Repaired plaque, Oct 2016
Ray & Marie
Aerial photograph from 1960's | Provided by Ray & Marie -see comment below dated 22 June 2017
Aerial photograph from 1960's
Provided by Ray & Marie -see comment below dated 22 June 2017
Picture we have of our Cumberworth Primitive Methodist Chapel & Sunday School Room taken 26th June 1965.  Notice front and rear wooden communal posts for utility cables. There is no mains gas or water. (We have another similar picture of this one on a 35 mm glass slide and that at a Lincolnshire Library). | Ray & Marie
Picture we have of our Cumberworth Primitive Methodist Chapel & Sunday School Room taken 26th June 1965. Notice front and rear wooden communal posts for utility cables. There is no mains gas or water. (We have another similar picture of this one on a 35 mm glass slide and that at a Lincolnshire Library).
Ray & Marie
Ariel photograph we have of part of Willoughby Road., Cumberworth, taken 23rd March, 1973. The road was wider on the other side from roadside properties. The United Methodist Chapel (later Cumberworth Methodist Church) is on the far left. On the far right is the PM Chapel & Sunday Schoolroom. | Ray & Marie
Ariel photograph we have of part of Willoughby Road., Cumberworth, taken 23rd March, 1973. The road was wider on the other side from roadside properties. The United Methodist Chapel (later Cumberworth Methodist Church) is on the far left. On the far right is the PM Chapel & Sunday Schoolroom.
Ray & Marie
Insurance Certificate - see comments below | Ray & Marie Ella
Insurance Certificate - see comments below
Ray & Marie Ella
Frontage of the old chapel - November 2017 | Ray & Marie Ella
Frontage of the old chapel - November 2017
Ray & Marie Ella
Alford Circuit Preaching Plan, 1908 | Raymond Ella
Alford Circuit Preaching Plan, 1908
Raymond Ella

The first Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel dates from 1839. Keith Guyler’s photograph shows it as a store. The later chapel is just two doors away.

Keith Guyler’s notes say the second chapel dates from 1853/1857 and served until 1947.  The chapel became the schoolroom to the neighbouring (ex-United Methodist) chapel. Later it became the village hall.

This may not be correct; it may be that the 1853 chapel is the United Methodist chapel.

location of the chapels: 504732

================

After Keith Guyler’s photograph was published here, visitors to this page provided further information about whether the chapel shown is indeed the Prim one; see the comments below.  Thanks for clarifying.

================

Ray and Marie, the current owners of the now converted chapel, have also provided photos and added more fascinating information from their research. See the comments below.

================

In the Primitive Methodist magazine of November 1859 (page 684) John North writes about the opening of Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel on Sunday July 31st 1859. He explains that there had been a Revival in the winter of 1858-9 and so Mr Kirk sold the trustees part of the large garden  that came with the house he had just bought and a chapel was built. The total cost was £70 of which £30 had been raised at the time of opening.

The new chapel measured 25’6″ x 17′, was 12′ to the ceiling, had a boarded floor and seated 100.

T Whitehead (Louth) preached at the opening and at the subsequent tea meeting, speakers were J Maltby (Louth), T Whitehead, J North and W Coulson

Comments about this page

  • We noticed on Rightmove (LN13 9LF , Willoughby Road, Cumberworth, Nr Alford) that the owners are now selling their cottage with former PM Chapel linked to it.
    There are some wonderful interior photo’s of the Chapel, quite astonishing.

    By Joan & Samuel Westbrook (17/10/2018)
  • We have very much enjoyed our researches and comments for not only our former PM Chapel in Cumberworth, but other former PM Chapels and now the time hath-cometh for compelled respite. -  “Historica, Nostalgica”.  

    Cumberworth: Continuing Primitive Methodist Chapel up to year 1947, then unification.

     

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella) (24/08/2018)
  • The 2 Primitive Methodist Centenary (1807-1907) Plates we have made by Wood & Son, Burslem:

    The Englesea Brook Museum of Primitive Methodism told us via an email that the inscription on the rim is a little different on some of the plates so we have now had a closer look at our 2 side-by-side, one a coloured edition, the other the basic non-coloured edition.

    The coloured one on the front of the plate has the following inscription on the rim:

    Top of rim reads THE LITTLE CLOUD INCREASETH STILL WHICH FIRST AROSE UPON MOW HILL.

    Bottom of rim reads THE CENTENERY CAMPMEETING WAS HELD AT MOW COP. ON MAY 25th. 26th & 27th 1907.

    The basic non-coloured one inscription on the front of the plate rim:

    Top of rim reads THE LITTLE CLOUD’S INCREASING STILL WHICH FIRST AROSE UPON “MOW HILL”. 

    Bottom of rim reads THE CENTENERY CAMPMEETING WAS CELEBRATED AT MOW COP. ON MAY 25th. 26th & 27th 1907.

    Spot the words that are different on top and also bottom rims of both plates.

    On the back of the basic non-coloured plate apart from the wording and numbers there is a number 2 to the left. On the back of the coloured plate apart from the wording and numbers there is on the left a small heart.

    ……….

    The National Archives (formerly The Public Record Office):

    We have now located other documents for the Cumberworth National School built 1874. Ref. ED 21/34118, School number 71. East Lindsey, Cumberworth School, documents 1919 to 1927.

     

     

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella) (22/05/2018)
  • Some religious teaching in Cumberworth for children was in our former PM Chapel & Sunday Schoolroom from 1859 to c.1947 and a later continuation.

    The National School in our village built in 1874 (now The Old School House) was for weekday education yet although being Church of England formed the attendance was by children whatever their or their parents religious denomination was or was not, some children from Wesleyan/Methodist families and others from Primitive Methodist families, etc. – The teachers were female, termed ‘Mistress’ and ‘Head Mistress’.

    Apart from some documents for the National School being at the Lincolnshire Archives, we have now located the following at the National Archives (formerly The Public Record Office):

    Ref. ED 21/10891 (School number 71), East Lindsey, Cumberworth School, known as National School. Documents from 1870s to 1916.

     

     

     

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella) (14/05/2018)
  • To read about training within the Primitive Methodist Connexion, please go to the Education page on this site.

    Circuit Preachers and Local Preachers, also Sunday School Teachers, men or women had to be proficient and within the Connexion’s Biblical discipline way of their faith.

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella) (28/01/2018)
  • Regarding funerals in the Preaching Plans:

    The Englesea Brook PM Chapel, now a museum is a Grade 11 (2) Listed Building and has a Primitive Methodist Graveyard, opened in 1842. There are other examples of PM Graveyards, e.g., the PM Chapel at Guiseley, Yorkshire.

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella) (24/01/2018)
  • The Visitation to Cumberworth PM Chapel and Sunday Schoolroom by Preacher F.W.Woody, from Skegness, May 10th, 1908:

    On the 1908 Alford Preaching Plan there are PM Chapel services abbreviation, and example being HF for Harvest Festival. These abbreviations can be checked on the Plan under the heading REFERENCES. 

    At the bottom of the references for meaning of the abbreviations is *. This is for a Trap, i.e., pony or horse and trap (cart).

    This abbreviation * is given to Preacher F.W. Woody of Skegness to travel to various PM Chapels, indeed Cumberworth where provision was given for him to park up on side land and frontage to the PM Chapel when there was a service.

    The Preacher’s visitation also included the 2pm service at Mumby PM Chapel (previous Chapel, soon to be demolished), the Cumberworth visitation being 6pm.

    Other Preachers with a Trap mentioned on the Plan were J.G. Banham of Skegness (travelled to Hogsthorpe PM Chapel ). H. Popple of Skegness ( travelled to Chapel St. Leonards PM Chapel). J. Ranson of Skegness (travelled to Mablethorpe PM Chapel). F. Blades of Skegness (travelled to Huttoft PM Chapel). 

    It is possible that these Local Preachers (listed has such) used the same Trap travelling from Skegness and/or more than one Preacher on the same Trap, a 6pm service being the last visitation.

     

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella): Aelle-Aella: (20/01/2018)
  • Primitive Methodist Church, Quarterly Guide of The Alford Circuit (Preaching Plan) April, May and June 1922.

    Some gleaming’s from it for Cumberworth PM Chapel & Sunday Schoolroom, etc.

    Society Stewards and Finance, Mr.J. Kirk and Mr. T. North.

    Circuit Officer, Rev. G. Albert Price.

    Baptisms: Children may be baptized at any at any Preaching Service. Notice to be given to the Steward or Caretaker, a certificate and registration 1/-   .

    Marriages: The Chapels at Alford, Mablethorpe and Huttoft are Licenced for the Solemnization of Marriages. Application should be made to the Minister and twenty-one days notice must be given to the Registrar of the District.

    Funerals: Members and Friends who desire the services of their own Minister the churchyard at Funerals must give 48 hours’ notice to the Clergyman.

    [Circuit] Ministers: Rev. G. Albert Price, Sutton on Sea. Rev. J. Spensley (Sup), Mumby.

    Preachers names, Cumberworth: E. Kirkby and S. Brown.

    Cumberworth: Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper, Sunday 2pm, 28th May. Preacher G. A. Price.

    Cumberworth: 4th of June, Y.M.C.A., Sunday 6pm.

    Cumberworth: Great Gathering, 6pm Sunday 18th June. Auxiliaries. . H.Graves [of] Mablethorpe.

    Band of Hope Anniversary: Mumby.

    Cumberworth Services, April 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th. May 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th. June 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th.

     

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella). (19/01/2018)
  • Primitive Methodist Connexion, Alford Circuit, Plan of Religious Services (Preaching Plan), from April 3rd to June 30th, 1921.

    Some gleaming’s for Cumberworth, etc.

    Society Stewards: Mr. J.Kirk, Cumberworth. Mr. T. North, Cumberworth. Mrs. J. Spensley, Mumby.

    Baptism: Children may be baptised at any religious service. Both parents should attend if possible. Registration and certificate, 1s.

    Marriages: Alford, Mablethorpe and Huttoft Chapels are registered for the solemnization of marriages. Information on the subject may be obtained of the minister. 22 days’ notice must be given by one of the persons to be married, to Mr. Webb, Registrar, Alford, or Mr. Walker, Spilsby.

    Burials: Members and Friends who desire the services of their own Minister in the churchyard at funerals must give 48 hours’ to the Clergyman.

    Circuit Officers: Rev. G. Albert Price.

    Cumberworth Services: April 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th. May 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th. June 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th. Sundays 2pm and 6pm. Mondays 6.30pm.

    Mr. H. Graves at Sutton on Sea, on April 10th at 6-30pm, look out for announcement re the visit of Enos Bacon.

    Leaders meeting: Cumberworth, 22nd May, 6-30pm Monday, Circuit Minister, G.A. Price, “Foriana”, Sutton on Sea.

    Cumberworth: Sacrament 8th May, 6pm, Sunday.

    Cumberworth: E. Kirkby, service 15th May, 2pm, Sunday, S.Brown, 29th May, 2pm, Sunday. Mr. H. Graves, [from]Mablethorpe,  5th June, 6pm, Sunday. J.T.Robinson [from] Mumby, 19th June, 6pm, Sunday and G.A. Price, [from] Sutton on Sea. C. Willey [from] Sutton on Sea, 26th June, 2pm, Sunday. 

    Commending you all to the unfailing love of God, and praying the guidance of the Divine Spirit for all who name the name of Christ. Yours faithfully, G. Albert Price.

     

     

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella) (19/01/2018)
  • Primitive Methodist Church, Alford Circuit. Plan of the Preachers’ Appointments for October, November and December, 1909.

    Some gleaming’s for Cumberworth, etc.:

    Rev. W.J.Clark, Circuit School Secretary.  Circuit Ministers: J. Prouton, “Lyra House”, Alford. W.J. Clark, Skegness.

    Local Preachers: Mrs. Hundleby, Mumby. 

    Exhorters: A. Cook and E. Baumber, Cumberworth. Mrs. Atkinson, Mablethorpe.

    Society Stewards and Secretaries: J. Kirk and W. Plant.

    The Station (Circuit) School Committee: Rev. W. Clark, secretary.

    Harvest Festivals: Cumberworth, Oct 24th, Tea and Sale, Circuit Minister J. Prouton for Oct 28th. 

    Missionary Services: Alford, Cumberworth, Mumby, Huttoft, Nov 7th to 11th.

    Special Efforts: Opening of new Centenary Chapel, Mumby, Oct. 14th.

    Evangelical Services: Cumberworth, Dec. 2nd to 15th, Miss Betts and Mumby, Dec. 16th to 30th. (Other Evangelical services by Miss Betts at Chapels in the circuit throughout October to December).

    Cumberworth Services, Oct., 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st. Nov., 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th. Dec., 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th. Sundays 2pm and 6pm, Mondays 6-30pm.

    Harvest Thanksgiving: Cumberworth, 24th Oct., 2pm and 6pm.

    Cumberworth: Society Meeting, 14th Nov., J. Prouton, Circuit Minister. 

    Cumberworth: Revival Service,  2pm, 6pm,  5th and 12th Dec., Miss Betts from Norwich, (Evangelist).

    Cumberworth: Collection for Aged Local Preachers Fund, 19th Dec.

    Baptisms: Children may be baptized at any religious service. Both parents should attend if possible. Registration and Certificate, 1s.

    Marriages: Alford, Chapel St. Leonards, Huttoft and Skegness are registered for the solemnization of marriages. Information on the subject may be obtained of the minister. 22 days notice must be given by one of the persons to married, to Mr. H. B. Farnsworth, Registrar, Alford, or Mr. Walker, Spilsby.

    Burials: Members and Friends who desire the services of their own Minister in the churchyard at funerals must give 48 hours notice to the Clergyman. 

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella) (19/01/2018)
  • Primitive Methodist Church, Alford Circuit ( Preachers Plan), Plan of the Preachers’ Appointments for April, May and June 1908.

    Some gleaming’s for Cumberworth, etc.:

    Circuit Ministers, F. W. Harper, Alford. J. Carter, Skegness.

    Local Preacher Mrs. Hundleby, Mumby. 

    Cumberworth: Mission Band.

    Cumberworth: Society Stewards and Secretaries, J.Kirk and F.Cook.

    The Station (Circuit) School Committee: Rev. J. Carter, Secretary. 

    Cumberworth Services, April 5th, 12th, 19th, 16th. May 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st. June 7th, 14th, 21st, 28h. Sundays 2pm and 6pm. Some Mondays 7pm. 

    Cumberworth: 14th May, F.W. Woody, Trap (his horse and trap/cart to be stationary on PM Chapel Land for service).

    Cumberworth: Society Meeting, April 26th, F.W.Harper, Circuit Minister, Alford.

    Cumberworth: Great Gathering, 31st May, S. Taylor, Alford. 

    Cumberworth: 28th June, Sunday 2pm, Circuit Minister J.Carter.

    Baptisms, Marriages and Burials:  (same has 1909 Preachers Plan).

    Chapel Anniversaries: Mumby, May 24th. *

    * this would have been the previous PM Chapel to be demolished.

    Sunday Schools Anniversaries: Alford, June the 14th. June 15th Tea and Meeting.

     

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella). (19/01/2018)
  • Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

    Ref. Meth/B/Alford P/A/1/2: Alford Primitive Methodist Circuit Register of Baptisms, c.1892 to c.1932. Note: this may or may not include baptisms at Chapels within the circuit, i.e.,  congregations within the circuit may have had a child or adult baptism at their own Chapel or at  the Station (Circuit) main Chapel and in this area that would be Alford PM Chapel.

    Ref. Meth/B/Alford P/1/10: Primitive Methodist Preaching Plans, 2,  April-June 1908. Oct-Dec. 1909.

    Ref. Meth/B/Alford P/H/1/12: Primitive Methodist Preaching Plans, 2, April-June 1921. April-____? 1922.

    Others.

     

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella) (22/12/2017)
  • Dear Christopher,

    Thank you for your notes has a newer heading to our posting 07/04/206 regarding the chapel opening printed in the PM magazine and our update 08/04/2016 regarding our Indenture-Title to the former PM chapel year 1859, the more measurement stated with a plan on the Title giving a land boundary rather than walls to walls. 

    Kind regards,

    Ray & Marie.

     

    By Mr. & Mrs. Ella (Ray & Marie) (08/11/2017)
  • Extra: the measurements are in Imperial Yards written on the Title to our linked property and in numbers on the plan. This indicates a small land boundary, the measurements walls to walls being less.

    Sadly with some former chapels or churches deeds are few and far between , or none survive at all,!, yet we are fortunate to have the original Title (also termed an Indenture) to the property and other deeds for it.

    Kind regards,

    Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs.).

    By Mr. & Mrs. Ella (Ray & Marie) (08/11/2017)
  • The Coming Back Home of the Primitive Methodist Insurance Company Certificate. 

    The elderly good friendly neighbour (see comment dated 27/7/2016) who had the original certificate and allowed us to have a photocopy of it has now kindly given us it and in a picture frame. It now proudly hangs on a wall in our former PM Chapel – see picture above. It has come home, Policy number 7926 (top left). 

    Although our former PM Chapel was built in 1859 the insurance certificate is dated 1st July 1900 with some later signed amendments, the sum insured for being £100, then later increased to £150, then £200, the insurance premium being annually 2 shillings and later 3 shillings. 

    The insurance cover was for the building and contents, e.g., an Harmonium valued at £15, a Stove, Lamps for lighting, Pewing (Pews for seating) , Pulpit or Rostrum,  Candle Fittings. 

    It mentions that the Cumberworth Methodist Chapel is part of the Alford Station (circuit) and the insurance is for Chapel & School Room. 

    We have also identified that the Kelly’s Directories of Lincolnshire 1885, 1889 and 1909 refer to the village having both Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The Directories also give information about the National School in the village.

    1885 – school for 60 – average attendance 35 – school mistress: Miss Jane Morrell.

    1889 – mixed school built in 1874 – school mistress: Miss Mary Moody.

    1909 – Public Elementary School – mistress: Miss E.A. Moore

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella). (07/11/2017)
  • I’ve added notes from the a Primitive Methodist magazine account of the opening of the chapel in 1859.

    By Christopher Hill (07/11/2017)
  • The Boston Guardian Newspaper, Sat., Nov., 26th, 1921.

    OBITUARY: – We regret to report the death of Mrs. Rebecca Rushton, wife of the late Mr. David Rushton, a well-known Boston corn merchant. The deceased was a native of Mumby and the daughter of the late Mr. Robert Gibbons, farmer of Mumby and Cumberworth. She leaves four daughters and two sons to mourn her death. She was a well known and respected in the surrounding district and connected with the local Primitive Methodists. The deceased [had] requested that no flowers should be sent to her funeral.

    By Mr. & Mrs. Ella (Ray & Marie) (25/10/2017)
  • In the 1861 Census for Cumberworth Rebecca Gibbons (who was a Primitive Methodist) is listed age 16, a Schoolteacher, born Cumberworth.

    ………………………

    1851 Census, Cumberworth, Lincolnshire:

    Robert Gibbons, Head, 60, born Alford. Farmer of 280 Acres, employing 4 outdoor and 4 indoor labourers. 

    Rebecca Gibbons, wife, 33, born Cumberworth.

    Rebecca Gibbons, daughter, scholar, 6, born Cumberworth. 

    Robert Gibbons, son, Scholar, 5, born Cumberworth.

    Servants: William Goodin, John Willey, Mary Willerton, Iley Hodson.

    …………………..

    Note: a variant phonetic scribe-form for Gibbons was Gibbins, Rebecca’s (junior) birth may have been registered has such c.1843-1845. In the 1861 Census another brother is listed.

    By Mr. & Mrs. Ella (Ray & Marie) (25/10/2017)
  • Lincolnshire Standard and Boston Guardian Newspaper, 25th Oct., 1913:

    Harvest Thanksgiving At The Primitive Methodists.

    Cumberworth, harvest festival held on Oct. 12th., two excellent sermons were preached by Mr. Padley of Bratoft to large congregations. On Monday the annual sale and tea was held. The proceeds amounted to £9.4s.7 (and a half) d.. for the chapel and circuit fund.

     

    By Ray & Marie (04/08/2017)
  • Phebe Kirk, born Cumberworth, a Primitive Methodist teacher, musician and singer: (read Huttoft postings):

    Phebe is mentioned in her brother Francis’s Will of Cumberworth and he leaves her £200, being mentioned “Phebe, wife of Richard Bristow”, quite a sum of money then.

    The Will also mentions Francis’s wife Ann Kirk and other beneficiaries, the Will proved 16th March 1875 (Solicitors: Rhodes & Sons, Market Rasen). Francis died 13th Jan., 1875.

    This Will was for Francis Kirk (junior) of ‘The Ings’ and he held land and property in various other parts of Cumberworth. 

    His mother was named Dinah and his father Francis (senior), he having died just a few years or less before the Primitive Methodist Chapel was built (1859).

    Note: Wills after c.1858 were a civil matter but before then they were of an ecclesiastical administration, so probate documents for many deceased persons pre 1858 are now at the Lincoln Archives.

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella) (24/07/2017)
  • The Stamford Mercury Newspaper, 8th Dec., 1876, page 5:
    The Primitive Methodists of Cumberworth have held their anniversary this week. On Sunday the Rev.A.J.Bull preached; and on Monday there was a public meeting (after tea) and Mr. Notsey (?) of Alford provided and the Revs J.Austerbury and A.J.Bull, and Messrs. W.Hundleyby, R.S. Bristow, G.Barton & Co., spoke. During the evening Miss. L.Mumby was presented with a handsome tea and coffee service in acknowledgement of her service as harmonist. The proceedings of the meeting, & Co., amounted to 6£(?) 10s.  

    Boston Guardian Newspaper, 25th May 1895, page 8:
    Cumberworth: “On Monday evening last, a meeting was held in the Primitive Methodist Chapel for the purpose of forming a Band of Hope* in connection with the Society. A public tea was provided and the children were regaled free. During the evening the Rev. Auty gave an excellent address and the children gave recitations in a satisfactory manner. Mr. Bristow presided and the chapel was crowded”.

    * Temperance. Queen Victoria became Patron of The Band of Hope, year 1897. In Comberworth ’The Band of Hope’ may have sometimes been referred to has ’The Mission Band’ (?, documented in 1908).

    By Ray & Marie (21/07/2017)
  • Extra to previous posting:
    The organ at that time in the PM Chapel was a read-organ i.e., Harmonium.

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella). (21/07/2017)
  • The former Cumberworth Primitive Methodist Chapel was once part of The Alford “circuit-area-chapel”.

    Some PM Chapels may be next to a railway station but not the former PM Chapel in Alford, but it was sometimes called “The Chapel Station” and this term used for the main circuit Chapel, the former Alford one now part of a funeral service.

    Regards,

    Ray & Marie.

    By Raymond E.O.Ella (18/07/2017)
  • Cumberworth born Phebe Kirk (married surname Bristow):

    To read about Phebe and her husband Richard, also view pictures, go to Lincolnshire Chapels: Huttoft.

    Regards,

    Ray and on behalf of Marie.

    By Ray & Marie (04/07/2017)
  • The Uniting of all Methodist groups:

    It is accepted that the year of unification was 1932. However, in some areas were some Primitive Methodists delaying amalgamating with other Methodists and for what reasons.

    In Cumberworth unification was year 1947. Indeed, in some areas the “better-off” Wesleyan-Methodists knew that some Primitive Methodists by the early 1930s were very poor and sympathy was felt for them. However, in other areas where the Primitive Methodist had a basic but better living had doubts about the unification and one reason for a non-compliance at least in 1932 or later to be unified with other Christian Methodists groups was because in effect Primitive Methodist women preaching would cease, yet some were Sunday School teachers only. 

    After WW2 women were gaining more gender equality and equal rights in the work-place and indeed in some religious faiths and have become ministers preaching and quite rightly so. 

    Kind regards,

    Ray & Marie.

    By Ray & Marie (02/07/2017)
  • We have various Government O.S.Maps and some Aerial photographs for Cumberworth. Here is an Aerial photograph, from the previous owners of our property, showing a section of Willoughby Road photographed in the 1960s and what is noticeable is the black wooden notice board on a wall of the building on the left, the building being the Cumberworth Methodist Church (United Methodist Chapel) because it still was in use with a congregation. 

    On the right is our former Primitive Methodist Chapel still being used then for various functions and by the Cumberworth Methodist Church adults and children, such a short walking distance between both.

    On the far right of the former PM Chapel is now a house and on the far left of the former Cumberworth Methodist Church there is a bungalow. 

    Apart from an 1859 Indenture (Title to the property) for our former PM Chapel there are other later deeds and the later brick-weave frontage is in compliance with them.

    Kind regards,

    Ray & Marie.

    By Ray & Marie (22/06/2017)
  • Cumberworth Parish Meetings:

    Most people in other villages within the district of East Lindsey have an official authoritarian parish council and a certain amount of council tax paid to East Lindsey Council is forwarded-on to official parish councils and the amount shown on council tax bills.

    Cumberworth is unusual and on our council tax bills it mentions Cumberworth parish meetings (the word council not mentioned) and amount ‘0’., also quite a large amount of payment forwarded-on by ELC to Lincolnshire County Council, even before social care now paid for via council tax.

    Most people in our village if there is anything to debate or what they want to be done usually go direct to ELC or LCC.

    ELC have on their public domain website a list of all parish councils and the names and addresses of those people representing them with permission to do so and incompliance of the Data Protection Act, indeed Cumberworth is listed but not the word council.

    When I had the privilege to read the “minutes book” for Cumberworth parish meetings going back more than 100 years it was very interesting historically but sadly a book of “forlorn  hope”.

    The other nearby chapel on our road (former Cumberworth Methodist Church) has had planning permission granted and of much potential for a buyer.

    Regards,

    Ray & Marie.

    By Ray & Marie (21/06/2017)
  • Footnote to previous posting:

    The listing of Cumberworth Parish Meetings mentioning names on the East Lindsey Council website is due for updating.

    Our friendly neighbour who owns the former Cumberworth Methodist church lives in the bungalow next to it and both are now jointly up for sale, e.g., pictures within public domain advertisement (Rightmove, etc). We will miss our elderly good neighbour.

    Kind Regards,

    Ray & Marie.

    By Ray & Marie (21/06/2017)
  • Follow this link to view a Public domain Government O.S. map for Cumberworth published in 1951 (there are later ones also).

    By enlarging/zooming down to Willoughby Road to view the former Primitive Methodist Chapel indeed it is not mentioned yet shown and the outer building for the toilet box and bin had gone, yet the main building continued to be used has a Sunday Schoolroom by the Methodist Chapel on the map,  i.e.,  because of the unification of various Methodist groups in 1932, although in Cumberworth it was year 1947.

    The congregation of the Methodist Chapel (Cumberworth Methodist Church, now closed) had/has an annex/alcove for toileting, some locals referring to it has “the bucket”, the open planned land at the rear being for roadside properties only. 

    The other Chapel on Ings Lane is demolished.

    Before the closure of the former Primitive Methodist Chapel and Sunday Schoolroom, it was used also for other functions, e.g., parish meetings, yet not an official parish council and today meetings are held in another village (Mumby Parish Church).

    Kind regards,

    Ray & Marie.

    By Ray & Marie. (19/06/2017)
  • The only building in Cumberworth so-far to have a Listed Building Grade 11 (2) Status is the former Parish Church, now a private home, a suggestion that our former PM Chapel could come into the same category we are aware of but decline an application has of this present time, yet of a consideration later.

    The National School (Cumberworth CE School), built in 1874:

    The school closed 29th Oct., 1915 to 5th Jan., 1920, with children attending Mumby School, while the Headmistress carried out nursing duties in France during the second year to the ending of WW1 (just called The Great War then and up-to the next world war) until 1920, indeed many dead soldiers in that war up to the ending in 1918 but many more wounded still to die or recover.

    By 1925 only juniors and infants where being taught in the National School, it closing 5th Aug., 1927, children then attended Huttoft School.

    The courageous Headmistress was not to return to England until 1920 after The Great War to End all Wars, has it was then thought !, (end of WW1, 11th Nov., 1918). 

    Lincoln Archives: Cumberworth National School/CE School: Documents (9 files). Survival period 1904 to 1921. Foundation Title Deeds. Plans & photographs, etc. Ref. SR/145.

    Kind regards,

    Ray & Marie, in Cumberworth  

    By Ray & Marie (19/06/2017)
  • Before and after the starting of the Primitive Methodist Connection and much later, there was no tarmac on roads. However, there were cobbled streets in cities, towns and some villages, but no national road system, hence the need for toll gate houses to pay a fee for transport (horse with carriage, etc.) to go onto private land to get to a connecting road, many roads being dirt, and some with small rubble with the dirt, resulted in buildings having boot scrapers outside for people to get rid of most dirt and mud off their shoes and boots before entering a building. Some of these boots scrapers still survive today even if the road is now tarmacked, yet some are more recent. 

    Outside of our former PM Chapel there was once a boot scraper and now to keep within tradition a replica one is now in place near the front door where the old one was at least before WW1. 

    Hygiene standards are better today yet in our village some properties have septic tanks and no mains drainage. 

    Our small single roomed former PM Chapel once had at the back a outer building that housed a toilet box and bin for the congregation, but our cottage has a bathroom with toilet and now linked to the former Chapel with a small conservatory type porch. 

    The public domain Link shows the rear of our former PM Chapel in 1905-6 on Willoughby Road and there are similar Government O.S. Maps c.1888. The former Chapel can be viewed on the maps by following the links and zooming in on the chapel.. 

    The other former Chapel (United Methodist/ Cumberworth Methodist Church) just next door but one from our cottage is not mentioned, but the Methodist-Wesleyan Chapel on Ings Lane is now demolished.  The School, now a private home, was once the National School built c.1874. 

    Kind regards, 

    Ray & Marie, in Cumberworth, Lincolnshire. 

    By Ray & Marie (17/06/2017)
  • Hello James,

    Yes that will be fine. Marie was working and I thought the door bell sounded. I was at the end of the back garden tidying up the shed.

    Ray & Mare.

    By Raymond E.O.Ella (26/02/2017)
  • hi Ray and Marie.  It was a lovely sunny morning today so I decided to walk to Christmas Cottage.  Sorry not to catch you in, because I wanted to ask a favour of you.  On Tuesday the 27 June I have a couple of US visitors who would like to see some of our local heritage.

    By James Johnson (19/02/2017)
  • Thank you Ray for the photographs of the repaired plaque, which have now been added.

    By Jill Barber (25/10/2016)
  • Lincoln Archives:

    In a previous posting we listed documents mainly for the United Methodist Chapel in Cumberworth. Here now is a listing of documents for The Primitive Methodist Chapel we had searched: 

    Trustees, Chapel Registration, Deeds & Title to Property, year 1859, Meth/C/Cumberworth, Primitive /D/1/1. (Original Title Deed shown to Lincoln Archives by us and they having made a copy of it and an extra copy with a Disc copy also kindly given to us).

    ………………..

    Trust & Committees, Meth/Cumberworh, Primitive/C.

    Registers of Membership, Primitive/Meth/C/Cumberworth/A.

    Circuit Records, Meth/B.

    Trust Minutes & Account Book, 1909-10, Meth/C/Cumberworth, Primitive/C/1/1.

    Note:some documents still not catalogued, temporary ref. Meth/Deposit.

    ……………………..

    Regards,

    Ray & Marie.

    Post-Script: I am (Ray) in the process of restoring our P.M. Chapel’s stone plaque and hope when completed to post a picture of it. 

     

    By Ray & Marie (21/10/2016)
  • The lady who lives at the bungalow on the left of the other former chapel (United Methodist Chapel, later Cumberworth Methodist Church), kindly loaned us to copy a Primitive Methodist Insurance Policy Certificate dated 1st of July 1900 with later amendments, May 1901 and 30th of August 1910.

    This is in a picture frame and we were allowed to remove it to have it copied later, then placed back into the frame and return it to the now owner, although it was once at the former Primitive Methodist Chapel perhaps before c.1932 or 1947. Until we have it copied/scanned, we have taken a picture of it (see above). The clarity is not brilliant, but here are some wordings:

    “Whereas The Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cumberworth, Alford, Station [circuit] ……………………..(etc.)”.

    …………………………………

    “[Further down the Certificate ] Signed: George Seaman and Joseph Smith, Directors and Robert Hind, Secretary”.

    Queen Victoria died in 1901 yet the stamp has what was referred to has her young head; on the stamp is written Inland Revenue, later the same is written on the king’s stamp.

    By Ray & Marie (27/07/2016)
  • Lincoln Archives:

    Recent deposit: Ref. Meth/C/Cumberworth, Primitive /D/1/1, Conveyance of Chapel Site, year 1859 (photocopy, original with wax seals still intact amongst Mr. & Mrs. Ella’s property deeds).

    Deposits already in the public keep of Lincoln Archives:

    Meth/B/Alford [circuit] P/H/1/10.  Meth/B/Alford[circuit] P/H/1/12.  Meth/B/Alford P/H/1/13.

    By Ray & Marie (12/07/2016)
  • A good neighbour lives at the bungalow on the left of the former UM chapel and she is within ownership of it. Her daughter has the old black wooden notice board once on an exterior wall. We were kindly sent a picture of it and allowed to make a posting with it. You will see that it just had Cumberworth Methodist Church (but not chapel) on it and giving times, but it is not known if it is c.1930s or later.

    Kind regards.
    Ray & Marie, at Christmas Cottage, Willoughby Rd., Cumberworth, Lincs.

    By Ray & Marie (21/06/2016)
  • CHAPEL OF THE MONTH, JUNE 2016  :

    http://www.chapelssociety.org.uk

    By Ray & Marie (12/06/2016)
  • Cumberworth Parish Meetings:

    The former Clerk for the meetings kindly loaned me the minutes book dating from the 1890s and meetings were held in the former PM chapel and Schoolroom, although it continued being a worship-chapel and schoolroom for the Primitive Methodists.

    Often entries in the book referred to various terms for the meeting-place thus:

    The Schoolroom. The Old Chapel. Chapel Schoolroom. However, after the unification of Methodists there are entries c. after 1932/3 in the book using the term The Methodist Schoolroom, also The Old Chapel and The Old Reform Chapel. Some meetings were held in the church vestry and this would be St.Helens Parish Church in Cumberworth.

    When the PM chapel and Schoolroom was sold parish meetings were held in the [Primitive?] Methodist Chapel in nearby Mumby village c. from 1999 and from c.2007 meetings were held in Mumby Parish Church for Cumberworth parish where they are still held today.

    Some gleaming’s from the book of minutes:

    March 28th 1916. The Chairman adjourned the meeting because no one attended. There had been a severe storm and blizzard, the storm was said to have been the worse for many years.

    September 21st 1990. The Parish Church (St.Helens) had been sold and a mention that it is a listed building.

    Sunday 2nd June 2002. Golden Jubilee Celebration to be held with Jubilee Mugs given to the village children.

    May 19th 2004. The recycling blue boxes will be replaced by Wheelie (Wheely) Bins.

    Today there are women Methodist ministers and also same with some other religious denominations. However, the Primitive Methodists were trend-setters in gender equality and had travelling women preachers giving sermons in open spaces and in their chapels being built. 

    Regards,

    Ray and on behalf of my wife Marie. 

    By Ray & Marie (16/05/2016)
  • Update

    There are now three windows and apart from the front door the fourth window is now a side door for the linkage to the cottage. In the original 1859 deed with wax seals there is a plan outlining measurements of 11 yards long by 7 yards in width and it is also written in words for the granting to build. These measurements are for a boundary and measurements from wall to walls is less. The deed mentions that the chapel is also to be used has a school. Note: the chapel was never a home to live in until it was linked with the cottage and then became a lounge.

    By Ray & Marie (08/04/2016)
  • The Primitive Methodist Magazine, November 1859, part page 684:

    CHAPEL OPENINGS.

    1. CUMBERWORTH, ALFORD, [in Lincs].

    BRANCH – Dear Brother – Cumberworth is a village at which we, as a section of the Church of Christ, have laboured for more than twenty years. We have been much inconvenienced for want of a suitable place of worship, having always to be confined to small cottages; the last winter we were blessed with an outpouring of spirit, and there arose a great desire for a chapel; the Lord opened our way, a cottage and a large garden were purchased by our old friend Mr.Kirk, part of the garden he sold to us, on which we have built, by Connexional authority, a comfortable chapel, 25 feet 6 inches long, by 17 feet within, 12 feet high to the ceiling, and covered with blue states. The floor is boarded; there are four windows; twelve elevated seats capable of seating seventy in pews, and thirty free [!] sittings. This beautiful little chapel was opened for divine worship on Sunday, July 31st, 1859, which three sermons were preached by the Rev.T.Whitehead from Louth, to very large congregations, a great number of hearers had to stand in the street, and the presence of the Lord was graciously felt.

    On Monday, August 1st, a gratuitous tea was provided by our kind friends, which realized £3.14s.; after tea a public meeting of a very interesting character was held in the chapel, at which J.Maltby, Esq., from Louth, presided, and addresses were delivered by Messrs. T.Whitehead, J.North, and W. Coulson; the opening collection, including the tea, amounted to £9.11s. 4 (and a halve pence) d.; a sum very creditable for a village of about 200 inhabitants. We hope this sanctuary will be the birth-place of many souls. The total cost, of the chapel will be about £71; towards which we have collected up-wards of £30. We are obliged to the farmers who kindly led us all the materials free of cost, and also to the friends who supplied the tea. Praying they may have their reward in this world an hundredfold, and in the world to come life everlasting.

    JOHN NORTH.

    ………………………………………………

    By Ray & Marie (07/04/2016)
  • Note: one of the account books for the former PMC has very little written in it but in the middle of the book (no numbered pages) there is some written information yet blank pages before and after. We nearly over-looked these pages and it is possible that others may have missed-out on them.

    We don’t know what happened to the replacement American organ or if it was hand bellowed air pumped or an early electric type.

    There is documentation for the former United Methodist Chapel at the archives in Lincoln but these were not searched by us.

    Kind regards, Ray & Marie.

    ………………

    (Raymond E.O.Ella, author-historian, retired). http://www.google.co.uk 

    …………………….

    By Ray & Marie (30/03/2016)
  • Our visitation to the archives in Lincoln, 23rd March 2016:

    Some gleamings from our findings:

    Primitive Methodist, Alford Circuit, Oct., Nov., Dec., 1909, Harvest Festival, Cumberworth, Oct 24th and 28th Tea and sale.

    Jan.25th, 1909, Organ purchased £8.12s. 0d, Music Stool 5s.6d.

    18th March 1909, That the American Organ bought by Joseph Kirk be taken over as chapel property at the sum of £8.12s.0d., signed by Thomas North, chairman.

    25th Jan.1909, old organ sold for £0.19s.0d. chapel key £0.1s.0d. 2 doz Sacred Songs, total £0.7s.4d.

    Harvest Festivals 1908, £4..1s.7d and coal £0.6s.3d.

    Miss A.Brown re-elected organist, Feb. 10th, 1910.

    The ref. numbers for the records can be given if anyone wants to visit the archives to view them and take their notes, once again our list above and below are “gleamings”.

    April 3rd. to June 1921, Cumberworth [worship times] Sunday 2pm and 6pm. Monday 6.30pm. Local Preachers E.Kirkby and S.Brown.

    April, May, June, 1922, Cumberworth [worship times] Sunday 2pm and 6pm. Monday 7pm.

    April, May, June, 1908, Exhortees, Cumberworth Mission Band?

    ………………………………

    Notes by us:

    there is little survival of the chapel’s records.

    Tea Meetings also were in the chapel. However, there is no mains water supply so possibly kettles of water were take in to boil or a tea urn. There was recorded price of coal but no burner in the former chapel today. There would not have been electricity in 1859 when built. The purchase of oil is recorded and this would be for oil lamps before electricity was installed.

    Kind regards, Ray & Marie 

    By Ray & Marie (24/03/2016)
  • Extra regarding our visit to the archives in Lincoln:

    The archives were interested in our original PMC 1859 deed/indenture with wax seals still intact, so we took it with us for them to make and keep a colour copy and a courtesy copy for us plus a Disc.

    The original was too big to copy has a whole so it was copied in reduced scale in 4 sections. We brought the original back home with us to file with other deeds. Soon the archives will allocate a collection number for their copy and cite us has owners of the original.

    In the former chapel is now an electric wood/coal effect burner.

    Regards, Ray & Marie

    By Ray & Marie (24/03/2016)
  • Sorted!  Thanks for the additional information Ray and Marie

    By Christopher Hill (05/12/2015)
  • Hello again,

    We now know that the former Primitive Methodist Chapel when it was redundant and the congregation having joined the United Methodist Chapel further up Willoughby Rd.,  became a Methodist children’s Sunday School room, then when the United Methodist Chapel closed the former P.M.C. was then sold. Planning permission was granted in year 2000 to convert and link the P.M.C. to the cottage.  

    By Ray & Marie (03/12/2015)
  • The ex-Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was on Ings Lane, Cumberworth. It is shown on a OS map year 1907 but just the form Meth.Chapel printed. On a OS map year 1888 the Primitive Methodist Chapel is shown on Willoughby Road, Cumberworth.

    Indeed, the picture with a tall chimney flue is the former United Methodist Chapel, also on Willoughby Road, Cumberworth. 

    By Ray & Marie (15/10/2015)
  • Update: the deeds have yet to be looked-at. However, via a Google-Sat-Map the picture taken in 1994 showing a side-view is actually the old United Methodist Chapel; also in Willoughby Road further into the village.

    With the Google-Sat-Map it can be used to zoom down to Willoughby Road then continue along it. There is the large chimney flue on the roof of the former United Methodist Chapel and the former Primitive Methodist Chapel does not have one; at least not now or never.

    The other 1995 picture of a front view is indeed the Primitive Methodist Chapel, not built in 1839 but 1859.

    Note: The Google Sat-Maps are one to three years old or more.

    By Ray & Marie (13/10/2015)
  • That makes sense; thanks

    By Christopher Hill (13/10/2015)
  • Thanks Ray and Marie for photo, clearly showing ‘Primitive Methodist Chapel 1859’. The photo has been added above.

    By Jill Barber (10/10/2015)
  • The Primitive Methodist Chapel, Willoughby Rd., Cumberworth, Lincs.: The inscription on the plaque over the door reads “Primitive Methodist Chapel 1859”.

    When it closed it is said it was used by the school further down the road for recreation and teaching. The school when closed became a private home. The chapel then was purchased by the owner of the “Christmas Cottage” next-door, then linked in the middle with a small conservatory type porch. Both the cottage and chapel have been refurbished. The whole joint properties have been Sold (STC) recently. The chapel plaque will be kept and given another restoration.

    The United Methodist chapel actually became a private home earlier. There was also a Wesleyan chapel in the village. There is a parish church also.

    Kind regards,

    Ray & Marie.

    By Ray & Marie (09/10/2015)
  • Thanks for the update. It’s good to hear about the retention of the plaque; many have disappeared or been defaced when the building was no longer a chapel.

    By Christopher Hill (09/10/2015)
  • Extra: There are two sets of deeds for the now joined property and when the ones for the chapel are looked at and if there is a mention of ownership at the time it was sold previously, or when it became redundant, it may state who it was purchased from, i.e., the local education department if it was used by the village school, or the administrators within the Methodist Circuit. If the “latter”, then it was used for teaching children from the United Methodist chapel.

    Kind regards,

    Ray & Marie.

    By Ray & Marie (09/10/2015)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *