Covenham Primitive Methodist chapel
Covenham St Bartholomew LN11 0PD
Covenham Primitive Methodist chapel in the Grimsby circuit first opened in 1836 and by 1853 was in a dilapidated state and had been outgrown by its congregation. As a result, they made it bigger – 4.5 yards wider and 2 feet longer. This made it 11 yards long, 9 yards wide and 5 yards high. It accommodated 190 people.
Re-opening services were taken by Thomas Greenbury of Louth, Thomas Shepherd and John North. The overall cost was £79/10 of which £50 was outstanding. Special thanks were due to Paul Traves “for his exertions”.
Further details are available in an account by John North of the opening in the Primitive Methodist magazine of September 1853.
On the 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map of 1888 the chapel is shown on the main road through the village, opposite the junction with Grange Lane. There is no sign of it on Google Street View in June 2009.
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1853 p.555