East Stockwith Primitive Methodist chapel
Back Street East Stockwith DN21 3DL
The first chapel in East Stockwith was built 1819 and a larger one opened 1840. The chapel in the photograph is the third East Stockwith Primitive Methodist chapel. It opened in 1870 when it seated 190 and had a schoolroom underneath. The 1870 chapel served until 1948. It’s opening was described by JT Shepherd in the Primitive Methodist magazine. Opening preachers included Revs J Tongue, J R Parkinson, J Stephenson, C Spivey & C Leafe
At the time of the photograph the chapel was used for storage and derelict. On Google Street View in 2009 it is still in the same poor condition.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1871 page 114