Fosdyke Primitive Methodist chapel
Mill Lane, Fosdyke PE20 2BL
The Primitive Methodist society in Fosdyke and the Primitive Methodist chapel date from 1826.
The walls of the chapel were giving way by 1861 so they took it down and rebuilt it. They bought 20 yards of adjoining land from W Betts at the very reasonable price of a shilling. Preachers at the opening services included Mr. and Mrs. Thomas, the Revs. J. W.Matthews and J. Cholerton.
The rebuilt chapel measured 34′ x 19′, was lit by paraffin lamps and cost £95. They had only raised £26 and still owed money on the original chapel, so they did not meet the Connexional requirement to have raised one third of the cost of a new chapel. JT Neale describes the occasion in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
The chapel was further enlarged in 1936. It closed in 2010.
location: TF 314334
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1862 page 112