Grasby Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel

Main Street Grasby DN38 6AH

1862 Grasby Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1993

At the time of Keith Guyler’s photograph in 1993, Grasby Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel was in the process of being converted into a house called The Old Chapel.  It had closed as a church two years earlier in 1991.

Initially built in 1862, it was enlarged/rebuilt in 1893.

There had been a previous chapel in the village dated 1841. There is a note by Thomas Kendall about it in the Primitive Methodist magazine of December 1853. Following an upsurge of enthusiasm, the chapel was closed for cleaning and repainting. Re-opening sermons were preached on October 16th by Mrs T Barkworth of Keelby. On the Tuesday there was a celebration tea, which enabled them to pay off the outstanding debt on the chapel

The Primitive Methodist magazine for February 1894 celebrates the new chapel.  “The period of barns, cow-byres and stables is past and great reluctance is shown now to worship in cottages”.

location: Grid Ref TA 08870 04917


Primitive Methodist magazine December 1853 p.752-753

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1894 page 157

Comments about this page

  • Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

    Ref. PADDISON/5/15: Primitive Methodist Connection Roll Book, to include Grasby PM Chapel, year 1887/8. (before rebuild or enlargement of Chapel).

    Ref. MISC DON 1745/7: Sale Particulars (12 items) to include PM Chapel, c.1990-c.2012.

    Ref. TRC/Images/6406: ( views of Grasby, to include PM Chapel with land to right, early 1900s.

    Ref. MLI84712: Former PM Chapel, Main St., Grasby, includes photographs.

    Other documents.

    Grimsby PM Circuit 1841-1847.
    Market Rasen PM Circuit 1847-1932/3.


    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella) (29/01/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.