Kirton in Lindsey Primitive Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire

Kirton in Lindsey Primitive Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire | postcard in collection of Revd Steven Wild
postcard in collection of Revd Steven Wild

The first Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1819; it was replaced by a new chapel in 1835. This in turn was replaced by the Queen Street chapel which was built in 1862 and closed in 1937.

The chapel was in the following circuits at the dates indicated:

  • Nottingham Primitive Methodist Circuit 1819-1820
  • Scotter Primitive Methodist Circuit 1820-1932
  • Scotter Methodist Circuit 1932-1937

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln has the following records regarding this chapel:

Ref. LCL10425: Photograph(s) of PM Chapel, 1 (or 2?) early 1900s.

Ref. Ref. Meth/C/Kirton Lindsey, Queen Street/E/7/1: Letter re Chapel Demolition, 1996.

Ref. MISC DON 1636/8: Mortgage, 15th April, 1840.

Ref. Meth/C/Kirton Lindsey, Queen Street/D/1/1:Equitable Mortgage Deed, 1903.

Ref. Meth/C/Kirton Lindsey, Queen Street/C/3/1: Promissory Note to the Primitive Methodist Church Aid Association Limited, year 1921.

Ref. Meth/B/Scotter P/A/1/3: Baptisms for Chapel 1844-1877. Baptisms with Scotter Circuit, 1877-1883.

The following two are now missing, or reallocated:

Obituary, Joseph Travis of Kirton Lindsey, died aged 63, 1847. PM Magazine, vol 28, Aug., 1847, pp510-511.

Biographical sketches, 3, of W.Scott, Preacher, Kirton Lindsey, died age 56, PM Magazine, vol 31, Nov., 1850, pp643-644.

Other documents.

Comments about this page

  • This page was updated to include a picture of the 1862 Chapel, thanks to Revd Steven Wild.

    By Jill Barber (27/02/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone