North Thoresby, High Street, Primitive Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire
Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln has the following records relating to this chapel:
The first Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1835. It was replaced by a new chapel on High Street in 1916 which was destroyed by a Lancaster bomber which crashed on to it in 1943.
The chapel was in the following circuits at the dates indicated:
- Grimsby Primitive Methodist Circuit 1835-1868
- Tetney Primitive Methodist Circuit 1868-1932
- Tetney Methodist Circuit 1932-1933
- Grimsby Central and Cleethorpes Methodist Circuit 1933-1937
- Cleethorpes Mill Road Circuit 1937-1943
Ref. Meth/C/North Thoresby, High Street/D/3: Letter re sale of Sunday School/Hall, surviving 1943 air crash and sale in 1978.
Ref. Meth/C/North Thoresby, High St.,/G: Society & Leaders.
Editor’s note [CH]: The chapel was opened on July 19th 1835 when the preachers were Mr. J Coulson and Mr E Tyas. The new chapel measured 26′(w) x 32′(l) x 14′(h). William Wombwell writes an account of the opening in the 1837 Primitive Methodist magazine (page 236). He added he was “sorry to say that it is too small but doing well”