Mumby Centenary Primitive Methodist chapel

Hogsthorpe Road Mumby LN13 9SD

1909 Mumby Centenary Primitive Methodist chapel | Keith Guyler 1994
1909 Mumby Centenary Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1994

Mumby is east of Alford. Mumby Primitive Methodist chapel dates from 1836 and is located in the south of Mumby on the A52. The first chapel seated 100 and was rebuilt on the same site in 1909, this time with seating for 75. The chapel closed in 2008 and has been converted into a house. 

The notes with Keith Guyler’s pictures refer to it as Mumby Centenary chapel. Around 1909 is the Centenary of the Primitive Methodist Connexion.

location: TF 517744

Comments about this page

  • Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

    Ref. Meth/C/Mumby, Centenary/J/3: Photograph of interior of Chapel c.2006, including the Rev. Alan M. Barker.

    Ref. Meth/C/Mumby, Centenary/J/2: Photograph of exterior of Chapel, c.2006.

    Ref. Meth/C/Mumby, Centenary/E:  Chapel, Sunday School: building repairs, alterations, closure and sale.

    Ref. Meth/C/Mumby, Centenary/E/7: Quinquennial Inspection & other Structural Reports.

    Ref. Meth/C/Mumby, Centenary/E: Chapel & Sunday School: building, repairs, alteration, closure, sale.

    Ref. DIOC/DISS/4/1839/11: Certificate for Nonconformist Chapel, Primitive Methodist, Mumby, year 1839.

    Ref. Meth/C/Stickford, Primitive/C/3/2: Letter re loan trust Stickford PM Chapel, by Trust to Mumby Primitive Methodist Chapel, year 1915.

    Ref. MLI82083: Mumby Primitive Methodist Chapel, history from first PM Chapel to Centenary PM Chapel.

    Kind regards,

    Ray & Marie.

    By Raymond E.O.Ella (14/12/2017)
  • Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

    Ref. MLL1599: Photograph of the Mumby Primitive Methodist Chapel (Centenary) while in construction in 1909, showing 6 workmen, 3 women, 1 with a Parasol.

    Ref. Meth/C/Mumby/Centenary/C/3: Corespondance & Papers.

    Ref. DIOC/DISS/4/1839/11 & 13: Certificates – Mumby Primitive Methodist Chapel, year 1839.

    Kind regards,

    Ray & Marie, in Cumberworth nearby.

     

    By Mr. & Mrs. Ella (Ray & Marie) (16/11/2017)
  • A modern sign has been put on an outside wall of this former chapel. However, it is wrong. The sign implies it was a ”Centenary Methodist Chapel”. The word “Primitive” has not been included in the modern sign.

    By Ray & Marie (08/06/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone