Scunthorpe Crosby Road Primitive Methodist chapel
Scunthorpe Crosby Road Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1870 but destroyed by fire in 1888. A replacement chapel was built in 1891 but in the two years in between 1889 and 1891, the Primitive Methodist society used the Wesleyan Sunday school in Chapel Street “‘provided they pay for the gas consumed’.
Before the chapel was built there had been a society of 20 members meeting in a house but this stopped before a chapel could be built. The Primitive Methodists came back in October 1868 and by June 1870 the society had 29 members – so they built a chapel that would seat 180. William Whitby tells us that speakers at the opening included Revs G Shaw, J Stephenson, P Milson, T Whittaker and W Harland.
The original chapel was used by the Salvation Army to 1907 and became a fire station in 1909 before being demolished in the 1960s for redevelopment.
The 1891 chapel in High Street opposite Belgrave Square.served until 1935. It became part of Woolworths and was later demolished.
location (1870 chapel): 896117
location (1891 chapel): 896114
Primitive Methodist magazine page 567