Stickford Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel
Fen Road, Stickford PE22 8EX
Stickford is south of Spilsby. In the 1855 March Primitive Methodist magazine James Shaw tells us that besides the Primitive Methodist chapel, it contained a church, a Wesleyan chapel and a population of about 500.
The first Stickford Primitive Methodist chapel, initially a barn, dates from 1844 and served for eight years before the the foundation-stone of second chapel was laid on June 30th, 1854 by Mr. John Eno, of Leake, with an address by Mr. J. Jenkin. The chapel was opened from 12th November 1854 when sermons of varied excellency were preached by Messrs. Gibbs, Fletcher, and James Shaw.
The chapel cost £120. “The whole building is executed in a first-rate style, and reflects great credit on Mr. Andrews,the contractor, who is the leader andprincipal supporter of our society at Stickford”
At the time of Keith Guyler’s photograph in 1995 it was a store.
The third chapel, on the left in Keith Guyler’s photograph, dates from 1883 and served until around 1919, just after the end of the First World War. It was sold in in 1922 and in 1995 was in use as a house.
location of the 1852 and 1883 chapel: 357599
Primitive Methodist magazine 1855 March p.176