Wrangle Bank Primitive Methodist chapel
Wrangle Bank, Wrangle PE22 9DT
The first Wrangle Bank Primitive Methodist chapel in the Boston circuit dates from 1838, being opened on December 23rd. Jeremiah Gilbert tells us the opening preachers were Mr R Robinson, Mr J Eno, , Mr T Tennant and Miss Moseley. The new chapel was 26′ long by 18′ wide.
The village had been missioned for 4 years previously, with preaching in Mr & Mrs Hobson’s house. Mr Hobson gave the land for a chapel; Mrs Hobson committed to cleaning it free for a year
The chapel in the picture with the date stone 1875 served until it was sold in 1972. After closure it was used as a store, although by the time of Keith Guyler’s photograph in 1994 it was derelict. By 2008 it had been converted into a house and was ready for occupation.
On the interior wall was painted the text from Psalm 100 verse 4: Enter His courts with thanksgiving
location: TF 430539
Primitive Methodist magazine 1839 page