Whitton Primitive Methodist Chapel

Winterton, North LIncolnshire

The Primitive Methodists were meeting in this small Humberside village in the early part of the nineteenth century, as well as Wesleyans. By the 1851 religious census they reported that they met in a place not exclusively used for worship (location not known.) They reported a morning general congregation of 40 and an evening one of 62. The report was completed by one Henry Richardson leader.

It was not until 1905 that a chapel was erected, a tin chapel, in Chapel Lane, North End, Whitton. The Wesleyans never had a dedicated chapel, and they merged with the Primitives in 1936. The chapel closed in 1995.

From 1905-1932 it was in the Winterton Primitive Methodist circuit, 1932-34 in the Winterton Methodist Circuit, 1934-59 the Scunthorpe and Winterton Methodist circuit, and from 1959 to 1995 in the Scunthorpe Methodist circuit. Thereafter ecumenical services took place in the parish church.

The village is very small, in the 2001 census returning a population of 171.

 

 

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone