Notting Hill Primitive Methodist chapel
Fowell Street, Nottingh Hill
The opening of a new chapel in Notting Hill is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1865. Google maps does not tell us where Fowell Street is, although it shares a name with the man who gave the land for the new chapel and laid the foundation stone.
“Notting Hill, London Second Circuit.—Notting Hill is in the parish of Kensington, in the west end of London. About eighteen months ago a few of our members left the society at Kensington, and united with this circuit ; and the neighbourhood was missioned by our preachers, several sinners were converted to God, and a room was obtained in which we were allowed to preach on the Sabbath-day only, and the rent was seven shillings for each Sabbath we occupied it.
At length a piece of land was given by J. Fowell, Esq., in a street sailed Fowell Street, and the foundation-stone of a new chapel was laid August 2nd, 1864, by the gentleman who generously gave the land. The same afternoon about 300 persons took tea together in the Notting Dale school-rooms ; after tea a public meeting was held in the ” Free Tabernacle,” kindly lest by Henry Varley, Esq., who also ably presided over the meeting.
The opening services commenced Sunday, November 27th, when sermons were preached by the Rev. James Garner and H Varley, Esq. On the 28th another public tea was held, and a public meeting in the new chapel ; Thomas Burnett, Esq., in the chair. On Sunday, December 25th, sermons were preached by the Revs. Danny Sheen, and J. Offord, pastor of Palace Gardens chapel. On the 27th the public meeting was addressed by the Revs. Phillips, Robinson, Durrant, Sheen, and others ; Mr. Thos. Church, presided.
The chapel has a noble and commanding appearance ; there is a good schoolroom under it, there are galleries on the two sides and front end of the chapel ; the total cost of the building is about £800. We have raised £160, and have about £40 in promises, yet to be paid. We intend holding a bazaar, and we hope to realise another £100.
We hereby tender our thanks to J. Fowell, Esq., for the gift of the land, and also a promise of £20 ; to J. Palmer for a donation of £10 and a promise of £10 ; to H. Varley, Esq., for £10, and Thos. Burnett, £10 ; and to all the kind friends who have in any way helped us in this important under taking ; and above all, we rejoice that God has saved souls already in this new sanctuary. J. Phillips.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1865 pages 316-317