Upton Park Primitive Methodist chapel

93 Plashet Grove, East Ham, London E6 1AA

Upton Park Primitive Methodist chapel
31st July 1982: Englesea Brook collection ENBPM:2020.117a
Upton Park Primitive Methodist chapel
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1908/550
Upton Park Primitive Methodist chapel

The 1889 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a report of the laying of the memorial stones for a new chapel at Upton Park. The area had been missioned two years previously by Rev RS Blair and as his work was successful they were now constructing a new chapel, schoolroom and infant classroom.  The ceremony took place on April 22nd 1889.

The 1891 magazine reports the completion of the building by the addition of ministers’ and stewards’ vestries. At this point the society had 70 members and the Sunday school had 250 scholars with 20 teachers. The cost was £3,200 of which they had raised more than half.

The former Upton Park Primitive Methodist chapel on Plashet Grove is still in use as an Assemblies of God Full Gospel Hall in 2019. Is that the chapel in the magazine report?

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1889 June 380

Primitive Methodist magazine June 1891 page 379

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *