Burnham Overy Staithe Primitive Methodist chapel
The Chapel Chapel Lane Burnham Overy Staithe PE31 8JN
Burnham Overy Staithe is west of Wells.
Burnham Overy Staithe Primitive Methodist chapel dates from 1860 but closed before 1940.
The opening is described by Ephraim Blake in the Primitive Methodist magazine. Some years after its initial missioning, the village was re-missioned on the initiative of Mr B Young, using Mrs Barsnip’s barn.
Mr. R. Brooks, of Thornham laid the foundation stone on September 12th 1860 and opening services took place from December 12th 1860. Preachers included Revs. B. Hickman, of Wells, E. Stallybrass (Independent) of Burnham Market, Ephraim Blake and Mrs. J. Winkfield, of Fakenham.
The new chapel measured 36′ x 22′, had a boarded floor and a slate roof and accommodated 206 people precisely. Very neatly, it also cost £206.
By the time of Keith Guyler’s photograph in 1997 it was in use as a house – The Chapel. It is to the north of Wells Road but not accessible on Google Street View.
Primitive Methodist magazine May 1861 page 304-305