Docking (Dry Docking) Primitive Methodist chapel

High St, Docking PE31 8NG

(Dry) Docking Primitive Methodist chapel

Wikipedia tells us that the village of Docking used to have three Methodist chapels in the 19th century. The last to close, in 2009, was the  Primitive Methodist Chapel, opened in 1836. This was located at Chapel Cottages on the High Street just west of the Docking Fish Bar.  In 1932 the Prim chapel united with a  Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, opened in 1821, and  located just behind.

There was also a Wesleyan Reform Preaching House opened in 1851 and located near the large pond to the west of the playing field. The site is now under grass.

Wikipedia also tells us that In the past the village of Docking used to be nicknamed Dry Docking, as it had no water supply of its own except rainwater. This was because of its elevation, which meant that the water table was deep and wells difficult to dig.

The chapel is called Dry Docking Primitive Methodist chapel in an account of its opening written by William Kirby in the 1837 Primitive Methodist magazine.  Opening celebrations started on 21st August 1836 when the preachers were Bro J Pole and Sister S Symonds.  It measured 23′(w)  x 51′(l) x 20′(h). Mrs H Frost of Docking gave the land and an additional  £200.


Primitive Methodist magazine 1837 page 29


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.