East Harling Primitive Methodist chapel
White Hart Street East Harling NR16 2NE
East Harling Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1865.
The society met previously in a part built former Wesleyan chapel – itself a converted house – opened in 1798, which they completed. In 1862/3 the chapel and adjoining land was bought for the society by Rev John Allison. Foundation stones for the new chapel were laid by Mrs Samuel Youels and Mrs George Alderton. Mr Crook was the contractor. The new chapel measured 40′ x 29′ and cost £300.
W Andrews describes the opening in the 1866 Primitive Methodist magazine. The celebrations, which included tea for 220, started on May 20th 1866. Preachers included Messrs W Andrews, T Swindill, George Carter, Nurse, Loveday Knock and Morgan Lloyd. Donors included Messrs Youels, Gregory, Finch, , Doubleday, Sayer, Smith and Read.
A Sunday school was added in 1895. Keith Guyler’s notes say that in 1940 the chapel was listed as Wesleyan, but the photograph shows the Primitive chapel.
It is still open in 2015.
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1866 p.558