King's Lynn London Road Primitive Methodist chapel 1826

London Road, King's Lynn, PE30 5PY

First Kings Lynn London Road Primitive Methodist chapel
Christian Messenger 1902/66
first King's Lynn London Road Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1987
King's Lynn London Road Primitive Methodist chapel 1826

The first King’s Lynn London Road Primitive Methodist chapel dates from 1826, with the foundation stone laid on 13th March 1826 and opening services on Sunday and Monday, July 2nd  and 3rd. Preachers were Brother W Hardwick and Mrs Olphin. The new chapel measured 30′(w) x 45′(l) x 12′(h). The occasion was reported in the Primitive Methodist magazine by WG Bellham.

On May 28th 1833, the roof of the chapel was taken off and the walls raised by 6′.  It was lengthened by 18 feet to make a vestry or schoolroom with a preacher’s house over.

There is an account by John Smith of the re-opening services in the Primitive Methodist magazine. Services on 19/07/1833 & 21/07/1833 were led by T Jackson, W G Belham, Mrs Jackson and W Ayre Esq [treasurer].

The 1826 chapel was replaced by a larger second chapel, a little way further north and on the other side of the road,  in 1859. Read about it here.

At the time of Keith Guyler’s photograph the first chapel was used by Grimston, Solicitors, 124 London Road. In 2016 it was offices for Vital Recruitment.

You can read more about Primitive Methodism in Kings Lynn here.

location: first chapel TF 622196

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1827 p.141

Primitive Methodist magazine 1834 p.148

 

Downloads

Transcription of an article in the Christian Messenger

Comments about this page

  • Thanks David. Interesting that such a secession occurred. Would it happen now?

    By Christopher Hill (22/11/2018)
  • From c.1820 the founders of Primitive Methodism in Lynn had a meeting room for preaching services in a sail-maker’s loft in Black Goose Street. The first camp meeting was held outside the South Gate. The early years were fraught with disagreement leading to William Wilbur (itinerant preacher) splitting from the Society and securing a preaching room in Coronation Square. Seventy members seceded with him but the Society overcame this division and went on to open the first London Road chapel in 1825. (Source: History of the Borough of Kings Lynn by Hillen H.J. 1907.)

    By David Secker (21/11/2018)
  • I’ve just added some detail to this  page about the foundation stone laying – when there was a procession for the children who were then given tea of Plum pudding and and roast beef!

    By Christopher Hill (01/05/2017)
  • This page was modified on 11 June 2016 to add an article published in the 1903 Christian Messenger.

    By Geoff Dickinson (11/06/2016)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *