Southery Primitive Methodist chapel

“SOUTHERY, DOWNHAM CIRCUIT.—This village, containing a population of 1,100 inhabitants, is seven miles south of Downham. For upwards of twenty years the agents of Primitive Methodism have “preached Christ’s Gospel” therein, and much glory has redounded to his name thereby, and numbers of wretched outcasts have been gathered within the pale of the Church. But for all this the onward progress of the cause has been greatly retarded for want of a suitable place of worship. Often the preaching has been moved from cottage to cottage ; this has been attended with so much inconvenience, as to occasion great losses to the society. Many have left and joined other churches. Once for a season, the cause was entirely broken up.

Our friends too were generally very poor; but they ceased not to pray and use means for obtaining the desirable and much needed object—a house of prayer. Their faith and patience also were often severely tested. Ever and anon they were cheered with the prospect of seeing their wishes accomplished, but were nearly as often doomed to disappointment. At length the Lord turned their captivity, filling their hearts with joy and their mouths with laughter. In November last Mr. W. Palmer, a Wesleyan, purchased some property in the neighbourhood, where our services have for a long time been conducted, and generously proffered to give us as much land as we wanted for building a chapel. This was grate fully accepted, and soon connexionally secured, and the business of making preparations for building was commenced.

On April 23rd, the writer preached on the site, after which the foundation-stone was laid, and a tea and public meeting followed. On the spot now stands our little sanctuary. It is built of white brick outside, covered with blue slates. Though unfinished it was opened for Divine worship on Sunday, June 10th, 1860, when two sermons were preached by Mr. G. Seamen, and one by Mr. B. Redhead, to crowded audiences. On the following afternoon, a sermon was preached by Mr. G. Bell ; a tea meeting was held immediately after, a goodly number being present ; then followed a public meeting. Many were baptized with fire, and will never forget what they then felt and enjoyed. Mr. Palmer occupied the chair, and addresses were delivered by Messrs. Coates, Goodman, Kemp, Knowles senior, Knowles junior, Bell and Meadows. The entire cost will be nearly £100, towards which we have raised about £43, only £50 will remain as a debt. May this new house of prayer prove the birth place of thousands of precious souls, so prays

W. H. Meadows.”


Primitive Methodist magazine September 1860 pages 551-552


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.