Walpole St Peter Primitive Methodist chapel

The opening of Walpole St Peter Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1836 by Edmund Butters and Michael Taylor.

Opening services took place on 02/10/1835 and 04/10/1835 when the preachers were G Tetley, M Olphin and G Flint. The new chapel measured 18′ (w) by 27′ (l). It was one of five chapels opened in the Wisbech circuit at the time which had a total cost of £440. Mr & Mrs Waller donated £45.

There’s an account by G Dawson in the 1858 Primitive Methodist magazine of the re-opening of Walpole Primitive Methodist chapel after it was extended.

This says that the chapel was erected in 1835 at a cost of £108 and was “the birthplace of many souls“. The Sunday school shared the use of the chapel, but the building was not large enough, so in 1857 it was made 14′ longer. The re-opening on October 4th 1857 was by T Lincoln of Lynn and Mrs Taylor of Wisbeach. The following day there was a tea-meeting with sermons from local preachers and “singers from Wisbeach interested the audience by their effective singing.”

The overall cost was £40 of which they had collected £28; the Sunday school teachers pledged to collect the rest.

The Ordnance Survey map of 1886 shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on Chalk Road, south of its junction with Pycroft Lane.

By 1971 it is marked as Methodist church.It’s not visible on StreetView in 2009


Primitive Methodist magazine 1836 page 63
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1858 p.48


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.