Allotment Primitive Methodist chapel
But where was it?
The 1832 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by T Jackson of the opening of a Primitive Methodist chapel at a place called simply “Allottment”.
But where was it? Searching various gazetteers did not identify a place and we don’t get from the account the usual information such as the circuit the chapel was in that would enable it to be tracked down.
What we do know is:
- the chapel opened on 26 February 1832
- preachers at the opening were Mrs Jackson, Rev Stowell and T Jackson
- it measured 18′(w) x 30′(l)
- T Taylor built it free of expense
- the society had 43 members
- they planned to start a Sunday school very soon
- there was no other church in the village
Thanks to the comments below, I think we can now confidently locate this page within Northumberland.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1832 page 229