Writing in the Christian Messenger, George Fawcett tells us about the development of Ashington Primitive Methodist chapel
“ASHINGTON was formerly known locally as Felham Down, situated about five miles north-east of Morpeth (Northumberland). Then it only contained a few houses. In the early seventies the mighty mining developments commenced. Now its population approaches 7,000. It is regarded as the largest colliery centre in the world.
It may be called the Coalopolis of the United Kingdom. Some idea of its magnitude may be gathered from the facts that about 7,000 tons of coal is the daily output; that 5,500 men and boys are engaged, whilst £13,000 is the average amount paid for wages fortnightly.
Primitive Methodists were not blind to such an opening. It is said the missionary should enter with the railway. Certainly Primitive Methodism entered here with the beginning of mining developments. A number of stalwarts came from West Cramlington in 1871, chief among them being Nicholas and Edward Gregory and Charles Main. They did not let the grass grow under their feet. Although no place was available for worship, they freely used God’s great temple – the open air. A blacksmith’s shop was next secured and fitted for services. After one or two removals in 1876 these pioneers became possessed of a new church costing £670, much labour being given. In sixteen years they had outgrown their accommodation and built a fine stone structure in Station Road, to seat 700 people, costing £3,300. Only £800 debt now remains. This is magnificent for a working-class society. Not more than five or six per cent of the money raised has come from outside. A great effort was made in 1898, when Rev. William Robson, of Whitby, then superintendent minister, organised a bazaar which realised £602. This was all accomplished within a year. The Church to-day reports 210 members.”
The 1921 Ordnance Survey map shows it on the south side of Station Road, apparently where Station Court Care Home is on Street View in 2009
Christian Messenger 1907 page 12