All that remains of Berwick PM Chapel is a wall in a car park.(Photo No.1).The plaque from the original building is embedded into it.(Photo No.2) On the opposite side of the wall in College Lane, in the garden of a house, there appears to be the remains of a doorway.(Photo No.3) It is likely that this was once the main entrance to the chapel and that the house may have been the manse.
Before Methodist Union the congregation at the Wesleyan Chapel in Walkergate (Photo No.4) was so small that they invited the Primitives to buy their chapel and join them. The scheme was first suggested in 1918 and the sale was completed in 1921. The proceeds of the sale were £400. This was invested by the Amble Circuit and the Primitive Methodist Chapel was sold immediately afterwards. Before it was finally pulled down it was used as a warehouse. Date of demolition is unknown.
The plaque over the door of the Walkergate chapel has two dates. (Photo No.5) 1797 is the date when the chapel was built and 1878 is the date when alterations to the chapel were completed
Photos (except otherwise stated) taken by Elaine and Richard Pearce in June 2014
OS Map Ref:75:NT999531