The chapel was built in 1882, at the foot of Catton Lane. It replaced an earlier building – see the 1851 Census return – and was in a most unusual Gothic style, reminiscent of Allendale Hall. The land was donated by the local landowner, W B Beaumont, who probably influenced the design of the building.
Photos of the inside and the outside of the chapel can be seen at Keys to the Past.
Editor’s notes (CH 04/2020)
The 1881 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account of the laying of the foundation stones for a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Catton in the Allendale circuit. The building would seat 160 and cost £500, of which they had already raised half.
The 1882 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note of the opening of the new Primitive Methodist chapel at Catton in the Allendale circuit. The new chapel is described as ” a neat building, affording every convenience for church activity, and forms quite a contrast to the old building which stands on the opposite side of the highway and will be used as a school.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1881 page 761
Primitive Methodist magazine 1882 page 761