The opening of the first Primitive Methodist chapel at Greenhead is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1863.
In 1886, a replacement chapel was opened at Greenhead, which, at a late date, was enlarged, and a good schoolroom added to it. Was this on the same site as the 1863 chapel? It is still a church on the 1981-1989 release maps. In 2016 it is an independent hostel.
This is the account of the 1863 opening:
“Greenhead, Haltwhistle Circuit.— Chapel Opening.—Greenhead is a beautiful little hamlet, situate within a short distance of the old Roman wall, and not more than a mile and a half from Magna (the modern Carroran), the Roman station of the Cohors Prima Dalmatorum, and which station enclosed an area of about four acres and a half. In the garden of the neighbouring farm house are some interesting memorials of the Roman occupation of this country ; amongst which are broken capitals and fragments of columns, moulded coping stones, and also a finely inscribed altar. Our principal object, however, is not to write about Roman remains or Roman altars, but about a new Christian temple which, by the blessing of God, we have been enabled to erect at Greenhead.
For many years our people have had preaching there, in a school-room belonging to Messrs. Wilson’s and Crowhall’s colliery, but the colliery having been worked out, and the school-room having fallen into the hands of J. B. Coulson, Esq., we were deprived of its further use. This, however, turned out to our advantage, as it led to a desire for a chapel, and to efforts to obtain one.
In the beginning of the present year we obtained a piece of land in a very eligible situation, from the United Order of Mechanics’ friendly Society, for the sum of £9 ; and the foundation stone was bid by the Rev. Jas. A. Bastow, with a silver trowel, and a mallet and square, which were kindly lent for the occasion by E. Ridley, Esq., who, but for unavoidable circumstances, would have been present, and have laid it. He, however, generously aided us by sending a donation of £2 2s.
The chapel, being completely finished, was opened for divine service on the afternoon of May 9th, by the Rev. Jas. A. Bastow, who preached a very interesting and useful sermon ; after which was held a tea and public meeting. Sermons were also preached on May 10th and May 17th. The whole of the services were of a highly interesting character, and the collections good.
The chapel is a neat building in the Gothic style. It has a platform, which is 2 feet from the floor, 8 feet in length, and 3 feet wide. The railing in front has a neatly made panel in the centre under the book board, and the rest is wood banisters, lined with red marine; the whole being capped with a hard wood French polished rail. The platform and pews are stained and varnished, and the door is painted oak ; the whole is inclosed in the front with iron palisades. The chapel is 28 feet by 20½ inside, and will very comfortably seat 150 persons, of which seats fifty-six are in pews. The total cost, including land and everything, is about £138 10s., and we have collected from all sources, about £76 ; we are borrowing £60 on note, and hope soon to beg the remainder. Considering the fact that we had to pay £2 10s. per year for the rent of a small and damp cottage to preach in, our circumstances are considerably improved. W. Widdowson.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1863 pages 628-629