Hexham's Primitive Methodist Chapels Northumberland

There have been three Primitive Methodist chapels in Hexham

The Primitive Methodists worshiped in Kiln Yard for eight years before their first chapel was opened on July 25th 1830.This chapel was in Bull Bank (known by this name after an inn at the top). In 1860 it closed and was converted into two houses. In 2015 the two houses are still there but the street is now called Hallstile Bank. On the outside of No 26 is a round plaque commemorating ‘The Methodist Ranters – thirty years on Bull Bank’.This plaque is a landmark for one of the historic  trails to discover more about Hexham.

Between 1860-2 a larger chapel was built in Back Street. This was known as Hebbron Memorial Chapel. The chapel was named after Henry Hebbron a preacher who was connected to the circuit by his marriage into the Ridley family several of whom held important positions in the area. The position of this chapel was thought by many not to be a good one and the failure of the society to succeed was blamed on this. It closed in 1908-9. What happened then we don’t know but in 1970 Coleman’s of Hexham had established an Antique Centre here. In 2015 the building is still there and is being used by a hairdresser ‘Transcent Hair and Beauty’ but the name of the street has changed to St.Mary’s Chare.(a chare is a local word for a narrow lane between houses. It is word commonly known in Newcastle-upon-Tyne).

The third Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1909 on Battle Hill. This a large imposing building with two tower like structures on it .It closed when the Methodists in Hexham joined together to worship at West End Methodist Church. In 2015 the Battle Hill premises are Hexham Community Church.

 

Photos taken August 2015 unless stated otherwise.

OS Map Ref:87:NY:935639

You can see a book plate from one of the foundation stone layings here.

Downloads

A description of the building of the third PM chapel at Hexham published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine 1910

Comments about this page

  • Additional :
    Northumberland Archives :
    ref. M5/A/2/8, Circuit Report to District meeting, 1861, the Hexham Primitive Methodist Circuit.

    Other PM documents, ref. M5/A/2/4, Quarterly meetings, 1836-49 and ref. M5/A/2/5, year 1864-1887.

    The Primitive Methodist Magazine, vol. 32, year 1871, pages 300-1, an article regarding a return from Australia and the old Chapel , Bull Bank, Hexham.
    Page 62, a mention of the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bethesda,* Hexham was built 1830.
    * now Ranters Chapel for accommodation ( address
    giving door number 24 ) Hallstile Bank [ once known as Bull Bank ] and under an upstairs middle window is an eroding stone plaque.

    Kind regards,
    R&M. ( Æ ).

    By Raymond E. O. Ælla. (07/06/2022)
  • Durham County Record Office :
    ref. M/Co/78-90, Hexham Primitive Methodist Circuit. Preachers Plans, 1800s-1900.

    The National Archives ( previously The Public Record Office) :
    ref. RG 4/(1?)2831, Hexham Bull Bank*, Bethseda [Bethesda ?] Primitive Methodist Chapel, births/ baptisms, 1824-1827.

    *hal stile [ Hallstile? ].

    Northumberland Archives :
    Hexham Primitive Methodist Circuit , ref. M5/A/2/9, a Preachers plan, year 1845.

    ref. M5 /A/2/1, Methodist Circuit records, to include Primitive Methodists pre-c.1932 baptisms, 1880-1932, c.1933-1963.

    Kind regards, Ray & Mare. ( Æ ).

    By Raymond E. O. Ælla. (07/06/2022)
  • Adrian Gray confirms that the third Hexham PM church closed in 1952 and was used for retail; it became Hexham Community Church in 1993 and is still active in 2022.

    By Christopher Hill (22/03/2022)
  • The 1901 Primitive Methodist magazine tells the story of the decision to replace the Hebbron Memorial chapel of 1860-62 and tells us a little more of “Squire” Hebbron and his wife.

    The article reports that they have purchased the land for the new chapel for £1,350 and the whole scheme was expected to cost £4,000.
    But clearly it took them another 8 years to actually finish the new chapel.

    By Christopher Hill (06/12/2021)
  • The hairdresser referred to is ‘Transcend’ – not ‘Transent’…,!

    By jane torday (25/08/2019)
  • S Tillotson writes in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1830 (page 437) about the opening of the first Hexham Primitive Methodist chapel on Sunday and Monday, 25th and 26th July 1830, when the preachers were Brothers William Sanderson and Thomas Aspinall. 

    Although there had been serious discouragements along the way, Robert Ingram Shafto Esquire handsomely contributed to the erection  of a suitable place

    By Christopher Hill (05/09/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *