Morpeth PM Chapel Northumberland
The present chapel was built in 1904
The Primitive Methodists first came to Morpeth in 1811 but the first chapel was not built until 1872 in Manchester Street. This remained in use until 1964 .Now in 2015 it is being used by Co-operative Funeral Care.
In 1904 the Primitives built a large chapel in Howard Terrace. The congregation of the Manchester Street chapel did not join them until 1964 and the Wesleyans, who also had a chapel in Manchester Street, closed their chapel and began to worship at Howard Terrace,(date unknown)
In 2004 Morpeth Methodist Church in Howard Terrace undertook extensive re-furbishment of the premises and the building became known also as a Centre for the Community. The Church and Centre are staffed from 9.00am – 10.00pm most weekdays and are used by a wide range of church and community groups.
Photos taken January 2015
OS Map Ref:81 NZ199863