Newshon (Newsham) Primitive Methodist chapel.
John Dawson tells us in the 1869 Primitive Methodist magazine of the opening of a new chapel in the Blyth circuit at what he calls Newshon – most likely a mis-spelling for Newsham, a village south west of Blyth. The ceremonies started on July 19th 1868. Opening preachers were Revs JM Dawson and J Elliot, and Messrs A Swinny and J Wondlys.
The new chapel cost £250 of which they had raised £200 – Coopen Colliery owners were amongst the donors, granting the ground to be leased and giving the stone. It measured 40’ x 30’ and seated 300.
The Ordnance Survey map of 1897 shows a Primitive Methodist chapel at the western end of Plessey Road, a former wagonway , at the point it met the Forster Pit branch railway. In 1961 it is labelled New Delaval High Methodist church. Street View is not brave enough to go there; is there any evidence of the chapel still in existence?
Primitive Methodist magazine 1869 page 110