North Shields (Hawkeys Lane) Primitive Methodist Church Northumberland

This church was built in 1931

The first Primitive Methodist chapel in this area was opened in Saville Street in 1860. In 1930 it closed and the top floor was removed before the building became Woolworths. Work on the present building commenced in November 1931 with the laying of several foundation stones and the church opened in 1932. A plaque commemorating the 1914-1918 war was removed from Saville Street and is now in the vestibule at Hawkeys Lane. 13 members of that society are named on it.

Hawkeys Lane is a large brick built chapel which was extended in 1997. In 2016 there is a large community involvement and the building is used most days. There are 120 members.

Photos taken May 2016

OS Map Ref:88:NZ676347

Comments about this page

  • The opening of the Saville Street chapel is described in the June 1861 Primitive Methodist magazine by Thomas Smith. It was a huge barn of a place, with a schoolroom measuring 51′ x 49′ under the chapel. It cost £2,200 and seated 810. The celebration tea alone accommodated 1,300 people.

    The speakers at the opening events included Brothers T. Southron, J. Barker, Smith, Bastow, Greenfield, Jack (Independent), A. Holliday, (United Methodist Church), Rev. T. Brumwell, S. Mease, Esq. (the Mayor), Rev. J. P. Haswell, (Wesleyan)

    Notable donations were collected by Mrs.Smith, Nile-street and Mrs. Smith, Churchway in weekly contributions from a penny to a shilling, Mr. Smith, circuit steward, Mr. James Hall, Mr. John Spence and Mr. J Salkeld

    By Christopher Hill (09/04/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *