Woodhead Primitive Methodist chapel in the Allendale circuit was opened in November 1864. W Fulton, one of the opening preachers and a collector of donations, wrote an account in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
Where was Woodhead? Woodhead plantation is on the eastern slopes of the River East Allen, north of Allenheads. The 1897 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel (and an adjacent Wesleyan one) towards the valley bottom at the wonderfully named Dirt Pot. The building still appears to exist in 2019 as Allenheads Lodge, a hostel. Am I correct?
This is the account:
“Chapel Opening at Woodhead, in the Allendale Circuit.—This chapel was opened for divine service, November 20th, 1864. Brothers Carr and Armstrong opened the chapel ; brothers Fulton and Harrison continued the opening services on the 27th. A gracious influence rested on the whole of the services. A tea meeting was held on Saturday, Nov. 19th, and was well attended ; we held a public meeting after; the tea was given by friends in the neighbourhood.
The chapel is 27 feet by 23. The cost is about £112, towards which we have realised the following sums :—E. Ridley, Esq., £20; John Hilton (Brough circuit), £5 ; P. Heugh (Brompton circuit), £2 ; Friends by W. Fulton, £3 5s. ; Mrs. Wright, of Newcastle (and who belonged to the neighbourhood), £5 ; E. Henderson Keenly, £2 ; J. Ritson, £1 ; W. Johnson, £1 ; J. Maughan, £1 ; and the trustees, who gave 10s. each. At the opening services we obtained upwards of £9. T. H. Apedoile, the solicitor who drew up the deeds, gave us a donation of £3 3s. 10d.
The land was the gift of the late W. Lamb, of Woodhead. We have obtained by donations and collections the sum of £102. Thanks to all donors and helpers, and to Mrs. Wright for the present of a beautiful Bible for the pulpit.
A Sabbath school has been commenced, and several souls have been converted since the chapel was opened. To God be all the glory. W. Fulton.”
Primitive Methodist magazine May 1865 page 317