Arnold Primitive Methodist Chapel, Nottinghamshire

The (Primitive Methodist) worshippers met in a barn belonging to Mr. Peck, until the chapel was built in 1829. It was enlarged in 1887, and additional land has since been purchased for a further extension. (King & Russell)

The 1940 Statistical return reports the chapel was brick built and seated 150. There was one hall and two other rooms.

Nottinghamshire Archives has the following information about this chapel:

  • Ref. DD/1702/2/66: Arnold, High St., Primitive Methodist Chapel (11 documents).
  • Ref. DD/376/1: Arnold Primitive Methodists Endeavour Society Minutes Book, 1925-1930s.
  • Ref. DD/376: Arnold Primitive Methodist

Reference

Rev. R.W. King & Rev. J Russell, A History of Arnold, 1913

Comments about this page

  • The Primitive Methodist magazine (1886 page 761) contains an account of the laying of memorial stones when the chapel was to be enlarged and a new school and classrooms added. Although the society had been active for 50 years, it had recently been “low and feeble”.
    The opening of the chapel is reported in the May 1887 magazine (page 316). It was “neat and comfortable” and the society had raised half the cost of construction as well as the cost of the land.

    By Christopher Hill (18/08/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *