Boughton Primitive Methodist chapel

Main Road, Broughton NG22 9JJ

Boughton Primitive Methodist chapel

The opening of Boughton Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1863.

The chapel is labelled on the 1920 Ordnance Survey map.  By 1938 the building is still there, but not identified. It is still there in 1960. It disappears between the 1967 and 1973 maps. It was adjacent to Hawthorn House, on the corner of what is now Thornhill Drive. There is a 1970s house on the site now.

Boughton Chapel Opening—Newark Station.—On June 14th the above place of worship was opened. The chapel was well filled in the morning, and such was the increase of hearers in the afternoon and evening, that the services had to be conducted in the open air, the chapel not being large enough to accommodate one half of the congregation.

On Tuesday, the 10th, about 130 persons sat down to a most excellent tea, gratuitously provided by the friends, in a large club-room, kindly lent for the occasion. At seven  o’clock, a public meeting commenced it the chapel, which was densely crowded. Tim Rev. P. Daykin opened the service with singing and prayer, and addresses were delivered by Messrs. Anderson. Newham, Corden, Revill, and Leigh ; the Baptist minister also took part in the meeting. On June 21st, the Rev. S T. Meadows closed the opening services by  preaching two excellent sermons.

The chapel will seat about 120 persons, and will cost, when completed, about £120, £40 of which have already been contributed. This will make the third new  chapel built and opened in the Newark circuit within a year and nine months. P. Daykin”

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine of 1863 page 686

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *