Clarborough Primitive Methodist chapel
Main Street Clarborough
In the Primitive Methodist magazine for July 1855, Thomas Whitehead writes about the opening of Clarborough Primitive Methodist chapel:
“CLARBOROUGH CHAPEL OPENING, RETFORD CIRCUIT. — The opening services of the above chapel were held on the 6th and 8th of April, 1855, when sermons were preached by Mr. R. Robinson, of Sheffield, and the writer. The chapel contains eighty-two letable seats, seventy-nine of which are already let. The cost of the building will be £145, towards which we have at present raised £47.
We embrace this opportunity of tendering our thanks to Mr, C. Dunk, to whose persevering efforts we are greatly indebted ; also to those friends who have generously furnished us with provisions for two public teas ; and to all others who have assisted us in the erection of this neat little sanctuary. Since the opening, two or three members have been added to the society. May it be the spiritual birth-place of many souls!”
On Ordnance Survey maps of 1886 the chapel is marked on the east side of Main Street just south of the junction with Little Lane. It is there is 1956 but by 1972 it has disappeared and been replaced by Chapel Close. In 2016 the site is occupied by housing.