Eastwood Primitive Methodist chapel
J Stephenson wrote about the opening of the preaching room and school in Eastwood in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1843.
“AT Eastwood, in the Ilkeston circuit, we have been much cramped in our energies for want of a convenient preaching-room, having only a small cottage, with a family residing in it, in which to hold all our meetings. We have a few zealous souls in society there, who, feeling much for the welfare of the people in the neighbourhood, took an unoccupied dwelling, and fitted it up for a preaching-room and a Sunday school. It was opened August 7th, 1842, by Mrs. Hardy and Miss Husbands, two of our local preachers.
The congregations were good, and, considering the state of trade, the collections were liberal. On February 28th, 1843, we had an excellent tea party in the room, which was followed by a public meeting in the evening.
These produced a good effect. Addresses were delivered, on subjects relating to sabbath school instructions, by Messrs. Stephenson, Rowbottom, Shaw, Stapleton, and Mea-kin; and a collection was made for the rent of the room. We have, at the place, a society of fourteen members, have good congregations, twenty-seven scholars, eleven teachers, and a prospect of future improvement. A good .work is going on among our Sunday school teachers: the fifty souls converted in our revival during this quarter, include several of our teachers, who have joined the society. Indeed our Sunday schools generally are in a prosperous state.”
transcribed by David Tonks
On the 1880 Ordnance Survey map, a Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on Wellington Street. It is still there on the map in 1969-80, but the area has since been redeveloped. This was probably a later chapel that the fitted up preaching room opened in 1842. What’s the story?
Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1843 Pages 299-300