Forest Town Primitive Methodist chapel, Mansfield

Clipstone Road West Forest Town NG19 0BT

Forest Town Primitive Methodist chapel Mansfield
Keith Guyler 1996

Forest Town Primitive Methodist chapel was opened as part of the rapid development of the area in the first decade of the twentieth century and it is still active in 2015 as Trinity Methodist Church.

The Bolsover Colliery Company sank the shafts of the Mansfield Colliery in 1904, and coal was reached in May 1905. Accommodation was needed for the miners, and a whole new village was established.  The Primitive Methodists built a chapel/schoolroom in 1905 situated next to the Travellers Rest Farm, a building that can be dated back to the 1850’s. Across the road from these the Wesleyan Methodists erected a tin chapel in 1913.


Our Mansfield and area website, accessed January 29th 2015


Comments about this page

  • Before the Forest Town Chapel was built meetings were held in the home of a miner Joseph Share. These were reported in a local newspaper as being well attended and crowded out. This was obviously an encouragement for the building of a permanent chapel, and a stone laying ceremony for the chapel took place on 25th March 1905. The named stones can still be seen in the wall of the building today [2015]. Work on the building progressed and it was opened at the end of May1905, it was a time of great celebration. Since then many events and celebrations have taken place in this well loved building. This year is no exception, with the community cafe, a coffee morning, messy church already having taken place and in May the congregation will be celebrating the 110th anniversary of the building of this chapel. 

    More information on the Primitive Methodist Church and the history of Forest Town can be found in ‘Forest Town The Village That Grew out of Coal’ by Pauline Marples details available from  

    By Pauline Marples (10/02/2015)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *