The Primitive Methodist magazine of 1889 contains a report of the laying of memorial stones for “a considerable addition (is to be made) to the church and school accommodation in the village of Newton in the Mansfield station. … … The need has been long felt and now the time has come when it can be provided for”
Where was the chapel and what happened to it? Newton Town is a district to the north west of Mansfield. The 1914 Ordnance Survey map shows and a Primitive Methodist chapel on the junction of Brownlow Road with Chesterfield Road south. The chapel still exists with a modern addition: however, it is not there on the 1899 map , 10 years after the magazine article. What’s the story?
Primitive Methodist magazine 1889 May page 316