The former Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel in Ollerton High Street still carries the date 1869. An account by William Watts of the laying of the foundation stone is included in the Primitive Methodist magazine of June 1869 (pages 362-363).
Eakring Station. The foundation stone of a Primitive Methodist chapel was laid at Ollerton, April 19th, 1869, when very interesting meetings were held in the following order. A procession was formed at two o’clock to the site of the intended chapel where we arrived at three. The hymn ” Before Jehovah’s awful throne,” having been sung, the Rev. Isaac R. Barnsley, of Loughborough, read the 29th chapter of the first book of Chronicles and prayed. Rev. R. Baron, of Mansfield, delivered an address -on “Free will offerings,” then the stone was laid by two juveniles (Master Freeman and Reavil), and ” offerings amounting to £13 laid on the stone.”
The company then proceeded to a large room and took tea. Upwards of 200 partook of the refreshing beverage, and more than £10 were received as the proceeds thereof. After tea a public meeting was held, Mr. Simpson in the chair. Addresses were given by Rev. W. Wath on miscellaneous matters. Rev. J. Robinson (Baptist) on the ” Foundation, &c.. of the Christian church” ; R. J. R. Barnsley on the “Rise, Progress and Prospects of the Primitive Methodist Connexion. Rev. R. Baron on ” Small beginnings issue in great endings,” as seen in Nature, Science, Grace, and Religious Sects. A collection of £2 0s. 4d. and votes of thanks brought this day’s work to a close.
This meeting will be long remembered. The loud and long cheering that accompanied and followed the several addresses evinced that the subjects, speakers, and every other matter were highly approved of. Primitive Methodism has been in Ollerton many years, sometimes almost unobserved. During the last twenty years the services have been held in six different places, and on some occasions it appeared as though all would die out. We have now hope of an establishment here ; our prospect is good. The cost of the chapel will be about £300 : total at present raised £86.
The chapel is marked as “PM Chapel” on the 25 Inch Ordinance Survey map of 1920. By 1945 the OS map labels it “Meth. Church” and the name of the road has changed from High Street to Station Road. There is no label on the 1960 1:2,500 map indicating that the chapel probably closed in the 1950s.
It was later converted into residential use and you could have bought it in 2015 for £157,000.
Primitive Methodist magazine June 1869 (pages 362-363)
Geograph website http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4113771
Image licensed for re-use under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0