Worksop Primitive Methodist chapel
The re-opening of Worksop Primitive Methodist chapel in the Retford circuit is recorded by Henry Knowles in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
Many Primitive Methodist chapels faced financial problems; Worksop had them all and more.
- The shell of the chapel was built in 1833 but the money was not spent wisely and it had a big debt
- income was limited and the debt grew
- it came to a crisis when the man who lent them a £150 mortgage died and they had to repay it
- they could not pay even the interest so the only way out would be to sell the chapel; however the proceeds would not cover the debt
- all but one of the trustees were penniless so all the debt would thus fall on one man
- In the end the General Chapel Fund gave a loan of £20 and the rest was raised from prosperous people in the town such as G. S. Fanegumb,Esq. and the chapel was retained and substantially refurbished.
The chapel re-opened on June 9th 1861 with sermons by Rev. G. Watson, of Gainsbro, Rev. S. Hopkins, (Independent), Rev. S.P. Barker, Mr.G. Rex (Retford), Rev. S. Hopkins, S. P. Barker and H.Knowles.
Where was the chapel and what happened to it?
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1861 pages 558-559