Banbury Primitive Methodist chapel 1865
Church Lane, OX16 5LR
In 1865 the Primitive Methodists moved from their former unsatisfactory chapel in Broad Street to take over a former Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Church Lane. The Wesleyans had upgraded to a larger chapel.
The new chapel was substantial, measuring 63′ x 33′ and 24′ high, with a gallery all around and seating 600. There was a school room and classroom at the back. With necessary upgrading it cost around £1,000, of which they hoped to raise around £300.
The chapel opened on September 24th 1865. Speakers included Revs W Antliff, Danzy Sheen and Samuel Turner, and Bro T Church. George Warner tells us about the opening in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
The building still exists on Street View in October 2019, with the ground floor in use as a tattoo parlour and coffee shop. It is labelled as a chapel on the 1922 Ordnance Survey map; in 1966 the building has no label. What’s the story to now from its opening?
Primitive Methodist magazine 1866 pages 111-112