In the late 1830s the Primitive Methodist society in Banbury bought two cottages “in a respectable part of the town” and built a chapel on the garden behind the cottages. In the 1847 Primitive Methodist magazine we are told by George Wallis that because the chapel had to be accessed through a dark passage, they dismantled the cottages brought the front of the chapel to within three feet of the street almost doubling the chapel size. They also built a preacher’s house alongside the chapel.
The chapel re-opened on August 1st 1847. Opening speakers included FF Edmunds (Wesleyan), J Mules, Rev F Jordan (Baptist) and E Foizey. They had raised over £55 towards the cost – but didn’t say how much the cost was.
In 1865 the Primitive Methodists moved from this chapel in Broad Street to take over a former Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Church Lane.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1847 pages 558-559