Clanfield Primitive Methodist Chapel, Oxfordshire
Please follow the link to see a picture of Clanfield Primitive Methodist Chapel, now a private dwelling.
Clanfield is a village and civil parish about 3 miles south of Carterton, Oxfordshire. It was missioned by the Primitive Methodists around 1828 but by 1841, despite having use of a small chapel rent free was “memberless and without a congregation”. Revival in the early 1840s was opposed and the society was thrown out of their chapel.
At that point Mr E Butler of Faringdon gave a site and some building materials and they built a chapel measuring 26′ x 18′. It opened on 20th August with the preachers being Mr Wheeler and W Driffield.
The chapel was built in 1844 and G Wallis reports the opening in the Primitive Methodist magazine
In 1865-6, the chapel was remodelled to include a new gallery. The chapel ceased to be used for worship in 1926 and was sold in 1927.
For more information about this chapel follow the link to British History Online.
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1845 page 32