Ensham (Eynsham) Primitive Methodist chapel
“It is about thirty -six years since the first sermon by a Primitive Methodist was preached here, and that sermon was preached by Brother Allcock, the first missionary to Oxfordshire. At that time Primitive Methodism was much opposed in these parts. On that occasion the parish minister sent the constable to take up the missionary, but he had not power to touch him.
Ensham, however, did not open then ; but in June, 1841, Brother Owen, returning to this village, commenced preaching the gospel in the open air, the Lord graciously helped him, and soon a society was formed. But having no convenient place, and other things being unfavourable to us, the cause remained in a low state for years. Many prayers were presented to God for a chapel by the society, numbering thirty-six members, who have now realised their hearts’ desire. The chapel is well attended, and nearly all the sittings are let.”
This description is by W Owen from the Primitive Methodist magazine report about the opening of Ensham (sic) chapel on April 7th 1861. The opening preachers were Mr and Mrs Jackson. The new chapel was brick built, with a slate roof and measured 33′ x 23′. It cost £175.
The chapel, in Chapel Yard, disappears from Ordnance Survey maps by 1913. Chapel Yard still exists although not accessible on Street View
Primitive Methodist magazine June 1861 page 364-365